Increase in Covid jabs in Norfolk and Waveney after record low
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
More than 10,000 under 18s have now received their first jab in Norfolk and Waveney, the latest figures have revealed.
The county has seen a slight increase in the number of jabs, which follows a record low the week before.
For the week ending on Sunday August 22, a total of 19,691 people received their first or second vaccination.
This follows 17,713 the previous week.
The increase comes after an announcement earlier this month, inviting all 16 and 17-year-olds to come forward for their vaccinations.
Around 10,688 (5.5pc) have now received their first dose and 2,022 (1pc) have received their second.
You may also want to watch:
Overall, in Norfolk and Waveney 696,807 (81.8pc) people across all age groups are now fully vaccinated.
The NHS in Norfolk and Waveney is urging everyone who is eligible but has not yet had a Covid vaccine to get the jab this bank holiday weekend.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
- 5 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 6 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 7 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 10 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
In particular they are appealing to 16 and 17-year-olds before the schools and colleges return in September.
Melanie Craig, chief executive of NHS Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said: “We are really pleased with these latest vaccination figures, which again place Norfolk and Waveney as among the best performing in the country for delivery of this huge vaccination programme.
“In addition, it is fantastic news that so many young people have already taken up the opportunity to protect themselves, their family and friends by having the jab.
“We’d also like to take this opportunity to remind people of the sensible precautions we should all continue to take against COVID-19 while we enjoy the long weekend.
"This includes wearing a face covering, keeping our distance from others and washing hands regularly so that we can keep one another safe and help stop the spread of the virus.”
Anyone who has not yet had their jab can drop into walk-in clinics which are being held over the weekend.
This includes Attleborough, Harleston, King’s Lynn and Norwich on bank holiday monday, August 30 , all of which are open to 16 and 17-year-olds.
A full list of walk-in centres and opening times is available at https://apps.norfolk.gov.uk/WalkIn/Form/AllAvailableClinics.