Town mayor officially welcomed in with civic ceremony
- Credit: Diss Town Council
The community in Diss came together to celebrate the civic ceremony of the town's mayor.
The official mayor-making of Eric Taylor took place at St Mary’s church in Diss on Sunday, September 12, with representatives from local organisations and mayors and mayoresses from six neighbourhood towns also present.
Mr Taylor said he was honoured to stand as the elected mayor of the "historic, vibrant and diverse market town of Diss", and also used the ceremony as an opportunity to raise funds for mental health charity MIND.
He said the choice of charity was "heavily influenced" by events over the last 18 months, raising £116 for the cause.
He added: “I know from my own experience how anxiety and lack of knowledge can affect the mental health and wellbeing of so many of us.
"In my circle of friends and family, I have seen carers who have nursed end-of-life Covid sufferers - stressed out and distraught that they could do so little to ease their suffering."
- 1 Woman accused of stealing £11k of printer ink across East Anglia
- 2 Baby murder accused 'didn't say much' after life support withdrawn
- 3 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 4 Man could stand trial after motorcyclist death in B1113 crash
- 5 Spanish street food business gets residency at Norfolk pub
- 6 Biogas plan in south Norfolk village leads to road safety fears
- 7 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 8 Deer killed in collision that left motorcyclist in hospital
- 9 Disruptions likely after warnings of dense fog set to last two days
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products