Town mayor officially welcomed in with civic ceremony
- Credit: Diss Town Council
The community in Diss came together to celebrate the civic ceremony of the town's mayor.
The official mayor-making of Eric Taylor took place at St Mary’s church in Diss on Sunday, September 12, with representatives from local organisations and mayors and mayoresses from six neighbourhood towns also present.
Mr Taylor said he was honoured to stand as the elected mayor of the "historic, vibrant and diverse market town of Diss", and also used the ceremony as an opportunity to raise funds for mental health charity MIND.
He said the choice of charity was "heavily influenced" by events over the last 18 months, raising £116 for the cause.
He added: “I know from my own experience how anxiety and lack of knowledge can affect the mental health and wellbeing of so many of us.
You may also want to watch:
"In my circle of friends and family, I have seen carers who have nursed end-of-life Covid sufferers - stressed out and distraught that they could do so little to ease their suffering."
- 1 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 2 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 3 Town mayor officially welcomed in with civic ceremony
- 4 Consultation launched on plans to merge primary and secondary schools
- 5 7 cheap or free things to do in Norfolk this weekend
- 6 Tractor fire leads to barn blaze
- 7 Council leaders congratulate Liz Truss on reshuffle promotion
- 8 Man could face jail over crash which killed woman, 75, court hears
- 9 Heartbroken parents’ appeal over final 13 hours before son’s death
- 10 Norfolk survivor of 9/11 'can still hear the screams' 20 years on