Long Stratton Leisure Centre to close for two days ahead of £2m refurbishment
- Credit: Archant
A South Norfolk leisure centre is to close for two days in preparation for a £2m make-over.
Long Stratton Leisure Centre, in Swan Lane, will close to the public on April 9 and 10 ahead of a major redevelopment which will see the currently out-dated centre transformed into a modern sports and community hub.
The £2m renovation, which is due be completed in January 2019, will include a first floor extension, new changing facilities, a café and a large soft play area.
There will also be two additional studio, and an exclusive fitness suite, including new gym equipment.
As well as the changes to the building, the car park will be redesigned to accommodate 14 more spaces.
You may also want to watch:
In order to minimise disruption to gym goers, the centre will close for two days ahead of work starting to allow equipment to be moved into the main hall, where the gym and exercise classes will be relocated to for the duration of the refurbishment.
South Norfolk councillor Yvonne Bendle said: 'Ensuring our residents stay healthy and well is a priority for the council and the new centre will definitely help us achieve this.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 3 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 9 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 10 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
'We know that Long Stratton is set to grow, with 1,800 new homes planned, and we are investing in the leisure centre to ensure that the infrastructure is already in place for when it's needed.
'Once finished, the centre will be a fantastic facility for the whole community for years to come.'
The refurbishment of the Long Stratton Leisure Centre follows the £4m redesign and expansion of Wymondham Leisure Centre in 2015 - an investment which has enabled the centre to more than double its membership.
Once the refurbishment of the Long Stratton centre is complete, the facility will close for a number of days for staff training, system tests and to resurface the car park.
While the centre is closed, members will be able to use Wymondham Leisure Centre and Diss Leisure Centre at no extra cost, excluding Wymondham Leisure Centre's spa.
The centre's 3G artificial pitch will remain open throughout the refurbishment, however roller skating and activity bookings are now no longer available.