Lorry park homes plan upsets councillors
An application to turn a derelict lorry park into homes has been slammed by Diss Town Council.Currently the old transport depot site on Victoria Road is lying empty, having previously been used as a lorry park.
An application to turn a derelict lorry park into homes has been slammed by Diss Town Council.
Currently the old transport depot site on Victoria Road is lying empty, having previously been used as a lorry park.
An application was submitted to South Norfolk Council by Lexham Property Management for permission to develop the site, but Diss Town Council recommended at a meeting on Wednesday night that it be denied.
'The loss of this site as a lorry park will be (and already has been) detrimental as lorries are currently causing problems by parking all over the town,' says a Diss Town Council statement.
'The entrance to the site is located on an accident black spot, with poor visibility,' it adds, claiming that the extra traffic will cause congestion on Victoria Road.
As well as logistical concerns, the council objected to the design of the proposed homes, describing them as overbearing.
- 1 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 2 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
- 3 Fears 'intrusive pylons' would surround market town
- 4 Iconic Suffolk Punch foal born - and you can name her
- 5 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces
- 6 War memorabilia to be displayed at Armed Forces Day in Diss
- 7 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 8 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 9 Threat of more rail disruption as Greater Anglia workers are to be balloted for strikes
- 10 Person taken to hospital and road closed after crash
The site was also deemed to be inappropriate because it lies in the flood plain of the River Waveney.
Diss Town Council's suggestions are purely advisory, and will be considered when the application goes before councillors at a South Norfolk Council planning committee.