Man prepares to cycle across America on a bike built by Diss shop
- Credit: Archant
A man is to embark on an epic cycle ride across one of the world's largest countries on a bike built for him at his nearby bike shop.
On May 13, long distance cyclist Mark Pritchard will set off from Manhattan Beach, Los Angeles, his destination Revere Beach in Boston, more than 3,400 miles away.
No stranger to long distances, the 61-year-old from Stanton in Suffolk has previously cycled from John O'Groats to Land's End and regularly cycles about 15,000 miles a year.
Passing through almost every type of environment the USA has to offer, Mr Pritchard be will using a bike especially built for him by Madgett's Cycles in Diss to complete the journey.
Mr Pritchard said: 'Over the last 10 years Mick Madgett and his team have given me outstanding support for my riding in East Anglia and further afield.
You may also want to watch:
'My bikes take quite a lot of pounding and need a fair amount of care and maintenance. So when I was planning my USA adventure I asked them if they could help me by building a bike specifically for the tour.'
Mick Madgett, owner of Madgetts Cycles, said: 'Mark has been a long-term customer and friend of the shop and we were thrilled to build the bike for him.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 7 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 8 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
'Mark's bike frames of choice are Bianchis, so we have used one of their carbon frames and fitted it out with electronic gears and disc brakes which will ensure that Mark can complete the ride in style and comfort.'
Estimating that the journey will take 48 days, including four rest days, Mr Pritchard will be using the challenge to raise funds for the charity The Green Light Trust of which he is a trustee.
A Suffolk-based environmental charity which helps and supports those facing health, learning and wellbeing difficulties by using the outdoor environment to enrich their lives and lifestyles.