Man severely burned in Eye house fire
Matthew SparkesA man was critically ill in hospital last night after suffering serious burns in a fire which police believe he may have started himself.Police said they were called to a domestic argument at a three-storey home in Eye, south of Diss, by a neighbour at 3.Matthew Sparkes
A man was critically ill in hospital last night after suffering serious burns in a fire which police believe he may have started himself.
Police said they were called to a domestic argument at a three-storey home in Eye, south of Diss, by a neighbour at 3.30am yesterday and when they arrived they saw a woman and two children leaving the property.
The man remained in the house and, police believe, started a fire, later emerging from the front door with what were described as
'life-threatening' injuries which included 'full burns' to his hands and face.
You may also want to watch:
The 42-year-old man was then arrested on suspicion of affray and arson with intent to endanger life.
He was taken to Ipswich hospital in a critical condition and was due to be transferred to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford.
- 1 Police search for Norwich man wanted on recall to prison
- 2 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 3 Warning over con artists trying 'council tax' scam in Norfolk
- 4 Six TikTok teens get stuck in toddler swings
- 5 'Don't suffer in silence' - Debt expert fears post-Covid crisis
- 6 Big rise in Norfolk children being home-schooled
- 7 Huge fire in scrapyard sees 11 fire engines descend on village
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Election day guide
- 9 'Get out and vote on election day': plea to people across Norfolk
- 10 Norfolk schools turn to Essex to find governors
It is not yet clear if the man intentionally burned himself.
Three fire crews were despatched to the blaze at Hutton Court from Diss, Eye and Stradbroke.
There were initial concerns over a gas leak from the house during the fire and residents were evacuated from several nearby homes. They were all allowed home at 5am.
The courtyard shared by the flat and nearby homes was still cordoned off late yesterday and police officers remained on the scene.
The car park at the rear was littered with broken furniture and other items and was also closed off to the public by a police barrier.
A Suffolk police spokesman said there had been fears that the incident involved a firearm but this turned out not to be the case.
Neighbour Kevin Brown said his wife heard a 'bit of noise' and 'some commotion' from the property earlier in the evening but they thought nothing of it. They were then woken up in the early hours by the police.
He described the family as 'fairly quiet' and said: 'We spoke to them, but I wouldn't say we were friendly with them.'
Another neighbour, Steven Ryland, said the family had lived in the house since before he moved in seven years ago, and said: 'They keep themselves to themselves.'
Firefighters rescued a man from a burning house in Melton Constable in the early hours of yesterday.
The victim was pulled out of a home in Kitchener Road by fire crews from Fakenham and Reepham and was treated for smoke inhalation on the scene.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue received an emergency call at around 11.35pm on Saturday, arriving on scene at around midnight and removing the man within minutes. Firefighteres brought the blaze under control at around 12.15am yesterday.
Ambulance crews attended the scene but did not take any casualties to hospital.