Mother's plea over deadly disease
A DISS mother whose son died from meningitis in less than three hours, is backing a campaign to raise awareness of the deadly disease.James Thacker, 25, had played afull 90 minutes for Garboldisham Football Club on the day he died before heading home for dinner.
A DISS mother whose son died from meningitis in less than three hours, is backing a campaign to raise awareness of the deadly disease.
James Thacker, 25, had played a
full 90 minutes for Garboldisham Football Club on the day he died before heading home for dinner.
The events of that day almost two years ago remain fresh in his
You may also want to watch:
mother Jennifer's memory and she is now speaking out in support of Meningitis UK's winter campaign to raise awareness of the deadly disease and its symptoms.
Mrs Thacker said: “James even had cheese on toast before he went to bed, so we didn't suspect anything was wrong. He had a bit of a cold coming on, but that didn't concern us given that it was January and freezing outside.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 4 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 5 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 8 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 9 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 10 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
“Then, a few hours later, James woke me up saying he was shivery and didn't feel very well. I knew something was wrong. As he'd had his spleen taken out four years earlier, I wasn't going to take any risks so called out a paramedic.
“He diagnosed a winter flu vomiting bug and went away. I had to call him back 90 minutes later because James got up and started screaming that he couldn't see anything. He had already gone blind. They took him to hospital and we never saw him alive again.”
The tell-tale rash appeared in the ambulance en-route to hospital, during which his heart stopped twice. Doctors were unable to
save his life as the dangerous meningococcal septicaemia form of the disease took hold.
Mrs Thacker added: “I would definitely urge mothers to trust their instincts if they feel something's seriously wrong, especially at this time of the year when the symptoms are easily confused with flu and hangovers.”
Steve Dayman, who founded Meningitis UK after his son Spencer died from the disease, said: “Unfortunately James' sudden death highlights what a devastating disease meningitis is and how quickly it can take hold. Knowing the symptoms, particularly at this time of the year, and getting swift treatment can mean the difference between life and death.”
The full range of symptoms includes fever, vomiting, headache, stiff neck, dislike of bright lights, drowsiness, difficulty in supporting own weight and a rash that does not fade when pressure is applied.
Not everyone gets all symptoms, which can appear in any order, and swift treatment is vital.
For a free symptoms information pack or more information call 0117 373 7373 or visit www.meningitis