MP publishes his expenses
South Norfolk MP Richard Bacon published his expenses online with a video message urging voters to judge for themselves what they think about them.Mr Bacon was among the first MPs to publish their expenses online on Tuesday, and he said he had tried to include as much information as possible - including details of two final demands for utility bills.
South Norfolk MP Richard Bacon published his expenses online with a video message urging voters to judge for themselves what they think about them.
Mr Bacon was among the first MPs to publish their expenses online on Tuesday, and he said he had tried to include as much information as possible - including details of two final demands for utility bills.
Claims include a �4,700 bill for painting and decorating of his London flat.
In a note to the fees office Mr Bacon writes: 'The final job was expected to cost �5,200, but it is actually �4,700 in total. This is because we negotiated a �500 discount for a series of irritating errors which make for an adequate but less than perfect job.'
You may also want to watch:
Also among the claims were �258 for two prints of Rome bought in July 2007. Other claims included �1370 for a linen box, a large and small chest of drawers and a wardrobe - reduced to �1300 after the MP successfully negotiated a discount and an ironing board and a vacuum cleaner.
The claims also included a �1356.99 hotel bill in October 2007.
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 4 Pregnancy, testing and natural immunity - your Covid jab concerns answered
- 5 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 6 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 9 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 10 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
'My main home has always been here in Norfolk so I have always used the second homes allowance to pay the cost of renting a flat in central London near to Parliament so I can do my job,' Mr Bacon said.
'In fact two-thirds of the allowance that I have claimed over the last four years has just been paying the rent with other amounts for council tax, gas, electricity, water and so on. And I have spent �1,700 on second home furniture.
'I know people are very angry about the crisis about MPs expenses and it is a crisis,' he said. 'I am angry myself, although not with the Daily Telegraph, which I think has performed a public service by publishing information which should have been publically available anyway,'
'Anyway, it is all on the website so you can judge for yourself.'