Musicians learn from military
Woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments came together in perfect harmony at the weekend as members of one of the world's best military bands performed alongside young Norfolk musicians.
WOODWIND, brass, and percussion instruments came together in perfect harmony at the weekend as members of one of the world's best military bands performed alongside young Norfolk musicians.
Officials from the South Norfolk Youth Symphonic Band spoke of their delight following the visit of the training band from Her Majesty's Royal Marines School of Music.
Fifteen members of the Portsmouth-based band spent the weekend rehearsing with 45 young musicians as part of an annual event aimed at inspiring the next generation of bandmasters. The visit culminated in the instrumentalists from both bands performing a concert at the Corn Hall, in Diss, on Sunday.
Mike Booty, an ex-Royal Marine musician and director of the South Norfolk Youth Symphonic Band, said the eight to 23-year-olds received a valuable insight into life in the military band and the Royal Marines conductors also got some valuable practice as part of a one-year training programme.
You may also want to watch:
Warrant Officer Alistair Cox, instructor from the Royal Marines School of Music, who brought over a number of different marches, overtures, and solo pieces for the youngsters to learn, said the South Norfolk band got "better and better" every year.
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 5 Funeral directors flooded again as village hit by downpour
- 6 How to upcycle your home during lockdown
- 7 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 8 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland