New MP makes maiden Commons speech
Ian ClarkeMid Norfolk MP George Freeman outlined a vision to create a 'vibrant rural society' and described fulfilling a childhood dream as he made his maiden speech in the House of Commons.Ian Clarke
Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman outlined a vision to create a 'vibrant rural society' and described fulfilling a childhood dream as he made his maiden speech in the House of Commons.
He spoke during a debate on jobs and the unemployed, and took his fellow MPs on a virtual tour of the Mid Norfolk constituency emphasised the need to unlock the 'talents and aspirations' of the people of the area.
Mr Freeman - who started a campaign called The Norfolk Way - said there was a need to create a 'vibrant rural society based on a renaissance of rural enterprise, smaller pockets of mixed housing spread more fairly and sustainably; fast-growing small businesses and jobs back in our villages and towns.'
He said Mid Norfolk was close to two of the world's leading research centres in food, biomedicine and clean technologies - Cambridge and Norwich - which gave an opportunity for the areas to 'become a hub of entrepreneurial activities and new jobs.'
Mr Freeman ended by describing what being elected as an MP meant to him.
'Taking my seat in this great House is the culmination of a long journey and a lifetime's dream. I can recall very clearly when that seed was sown. Coming here on a school trip aged 12, inspired by childhood stories of my great-uncle Gladstone.
- 1 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 4 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 5 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 6 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
'I recall seeing the worn edges of the Dispatch Box and being struck by a deeply reassuring idea - that whoever and wherever you are in our country, there is a place where the nation takes responsibility for its affairs, a place where your problem matters, a place here, for you, whoever you are. I still believe there is no greater honour than to be sent here by a constituency to serve.'