Pensioner plans Transylvania trek
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula. But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula.
But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
Villager Shirley Ebdell is raising money for underprivileged and handicapped youngsters by taking part in The Carpathian Challenge next month. It is organised by Link Romania, a Christian-based charity dedicated to the alleviation of poverty that is working with groups rejected by society.
“It's about 70 miles so I hope I am going to last. I should have done it twenty years ago I think,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I have to pay all the expenses myself and then we are trekking to raise as much as possible to help these children. I have set a target of £2,000 and I am getting as many people to sponsor me as I can.”
The challenge takes place from September 20-28 and includes visits to some of the projects and work supported by Link Romania so the volunteer trekkers can see how charity funds are being used.
- 1 New PCC - I will lobby home secretary to crackdown on police abusers
- 2 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 3 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 4 Lockdown to be eased: what else can I do from May 17?
- 5 'Your efforts have paid off' - Further lockdown lifting confirmed for May 17
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 9 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 10 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
Anyone wishing to sponsor Mrs Ebdell can make donations on line at: www.justgiving/shirleyebdell.com, or send a cheque, made out to Link Romania, to M Yates, 29 Mill Lane, Pulham Market, IP21 4TN.