Pensioner plans Transylvania trek
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula. But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula.
But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
Villager Shirley Ebdell is raising money for underprivileged and handicapped youngsters by taking part in The Carpathian Challenge next month. It is organised by Link Romania, a Christian-based charity dedicated to the alleviation of poverty that is working with groups rejected by society.
“It's about 70 miles so I hope I am going to last. I should have done it twenty years ago I think,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I have to pay all the expenses myself and then we are trekking to raise as much as possible to help these children. I have set a target of £2,000 and I am getting as many people to sponsor me as I can.”
The challenge takes place from September 20-28 and includes visits to some of the projects and work supported by Link Romania so the volunteer trekkers can see how charity funds are being used.
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 5 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 6 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 7 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 8 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
Anyone wishing to sponsor Mrs Ebdell can make donations on line at: www.justgiving/shirleyebdell.com, or send a cheque, made out to Link Romania, to M Yates, 29 Mill Lane, Pulham Market, IP21 4TN.