Pensioner plans Transylvania trek
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula. But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
The name Transylvania usually conjures up images of blood-sucking vampire Count Dracula.
But for a Pulham St Mary pensioner it means an opportunity to help Romanian orphans by taking part in a six day trek through mountainous terrain in Transylvania and neighbouring Moldavia.
Villager Shirley Ebdell is raising money for underprivileged and handicapped youngsters by taking part in The Carpathian Challenge next month. It is organised by Link Romania, a Christian-based charity dedicated to the alleviation of poverty that is working with groups rejected by society.
“It's about 70 miles so I hope I am going to last. I should have done it twenty years ago I think,” she said.
You may also want to watch:
“I have to pay all the expenses myself and then we are trekking to raise as much as possible to help these children. I have set a target of £2,000 and I am getting as many people to sponsor me as I can.”
The challenge takes place from September 20-28 and includes visits to some of the projects and work supported by Link Romania so the volunteer trekkers can see how charity funds are being used.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 6 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 9 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
Anyone wishing to sponsor Mrs Ebdell can make donations on line at: www.justgiving/shirleyebdell.com, or send a cheque, made out to Link Romania, to M Yates, 29 Mill Lane, Pulham Market, IP21 4TN.