Pensioners' group for Wymondham
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham. The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association.
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham.
The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association. A tireless campaigner for the elderly, she was made an MBE in recognition of her work.
'I have lived in Wymondham for seven years and generally I think there's very little here for old people,' she said.
'There are three of us in the association who are hoping to get it off the ground and do something for the elderly that would help them. The group would have to get their views and see what they want they want. There are too many people around who talk down to pensioners, and we should listen to what they would like.
'We are hoping to get people who interested who will want to run the group if it's just having a cup of tea together, or going on cinema outings.'
Mrs Pocock added that the group would have to be self-funding.
- 1 New Lidl could create 40 'living wage' jobs
- 2 Two crashes in one hour in Pulham Market area
- 3 WATCH: Norfolk MP says PM birthday celebration a 'relatively minor offence'
- 4 Fast-growing audio-visual company snaps up another business
- 5 The battle of Bressingham... the village torn apart by energy scheme
- 6 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 7 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 8 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 9 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss
- 10 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
Those wishing to be involved, or find out more, are invited to attend a meeting at 2pm on Wednesday February 18, at the Rothbury Road Community Centre in Wymondham.