Pensioners' group for Wymondham
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham. The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association.
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham.
The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association. A tireless campaigner for the elderly, she was made an MBE in recognition of her work.
'I have lived in Wymondham for seven years and generally I think there's very little here for old people,' she said.
'There are three of us in the association who are hoping to get it off the ground and do something for the elderly that would help them. The group would have to get their views and see what they want they want. There are too many people around who talk down to pensioners, and we should listen to what they would like.
You may also want to watch:
'We are hoping to get people who interested who will want to run the group if it's just having a cup of tea together, or going on cinema outings.'
Mrs Pocock added that the group would have to be self-funding.
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 5 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 6 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
Those wishing to be involved, or find out more, are invited to attend a meeting at 2pm on Wednesday February 18, at the Rothbury Road Community Centre in Wymondham.