Pensioners' group for Wymondham
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham. The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association.
A new group for pensioners is planned at Wymondham.
The initiative is spearheaded by Edith Pocock, 84, the secretary of Norfolk and Norwich Pensioners Association. A tireless campaigner for the elderly, she was made an MBE in recognition of her work.
'I have lived in Wymondham for seven years and generally I think there's very little here for old people,' she said.
'There are three of us in the association who are hoping to get it off the ground and do something for the elderly that would help them. The group would have to get their views and see what they want they want. There are too many people around who talk down to pensioners, and we should listen to what they would like.
'We are hoping to get people who interested who will want to run the group if it's just having a cup of tea together, or going on cinema outings.'
Mrs Pocock added that the group would have to be self-funding.
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 7 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 8 War memorabilia to be displayed at Armed Forces Day in Diss
- 9 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
- 10 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces
Those wishing to be involved, or find out more, are invited to attend a meeting at 2pm on Wednesday February 18, at the Rothbury Road Community Centre in Wymondham.