Photo gallery: Eye celebrates its history during heritage weekend
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2013
A town celebrated its rich history at a weekend of events.
A series of personal portraits of the historic Eye artist Robert Mendham - donated by Angela Kilmartin, one of his ancestors - was unveiled at Eye Town Hall as part of the town's heritage weekend.
Historical character walks around the town also took place, while resident Joy Evitt exhibited a collection of Victorian sewing machines and The Bank arts venue staged a portrait exhibition, as well as children's activities.
Eye's churches were open for people to look around, while guided tours of Eye Castle also took place.
Former Conservative cabinet minister and Suffolk MP Lord Deben was one of the speakers as the paintings of Robert Mendham were unveiled on Saturday.
Roz Barnett, clerk at Eye Town Council, said the weekend had helped demonstrate the rich and varied history of the area.
'We held a similar event last year but this was a much bigger event,' she said.
- 1 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 2 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 3 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 6 'No excuses' is the message as festive anti-drink drive campaign launched
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 9 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout
'Eye is a really unique town, built around a medieval castle, and we've got fantastic examples of architecture around the town.
'People brought in different things for display, so it was a real opportunity to get these things out into the open.'
Are you organising a history event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org