Police appeal after arson damages church items
- Credit: citizenside.com
Police have renewed an appeal for information after an arson attack at a church.
Items in the parish church of St Peter & St Paul on Church Street in Eye were damaged when an offender set fire to a large box of candles which burned out of control.
The church at the centre of the town is one of the grandest in Suffolk with a flint-encrusted tower that was rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century and a historic array of furnishings, rood screen and loft.
The fire occurred sometime between 9.15am and 10.30am on January 5.
Police are appealing for information but have said there is no reason to assume other churches may be targeted. However they are warning people to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk Police by calling 101, quoting 37/995/19. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 and crimestoppers-uk.org
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 6 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 7 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 8 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
- 10 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art