Police appeal after arson damages church items
- Credit: citizenside.com
Police have renewed an appeal for information after an arson attack at a church.
Items in the parish church of St Peter & St Paul on Church Street in Eye were damaged when an offender set fire to a large box of candles which burned out of control.
The church at the centre of the town is one of the grandest in Suffolk with a flint-encrusted tower that was rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century and a historic array of furnishings, rood screen and loft.
The fire occurred sometime between 9.15am and 10.30am on January 5.
Police are appealing for information but have said there is no reason to assume other churches may be targeted. However they are warning people to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk Police by calling 101, quoting 37/995/19. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 and crimestoppers-uk.org
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 4 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 5 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 6 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 10 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"