Police appeal after arson damages church items
- Credit: citizenside.com
Police have renewed an appeal for information after an arson attack at a church.
Items in the parish church of St Peter & St Paul on Church Street in Eye were damaged when an offender set fire to a large box of candles which burned out of control.
The church at the centre of the town is one of the grandest in Suffolk with a flint-encrusted tower that was rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century and a historic array of furnishings, rood screen and loft.
The fire occurred sometime between 9.15am and 10.30am on January 5.
Police are appealing for information but have said there is no reason to assume other churches may be targeted. However they are warning people to be vigilant and report any suspicious activity.
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information should contact Suffolk Police by calling 101, quoting 37/995/19. Alternatively contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 and crimestoppers-uk.org
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 7 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 10 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison