Police hunt gunman who fired paintballs at traffic
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A paintball sniper who targeted passing traffic on the main road through Diss is being hunted by police.
Motorists on Victoria Road found themselves coming under attack on Saturday night from someone firing a paintball gun at cars.
At least four cars were hit as they drove close to the Tesco roundabout and police believe others may also have been targeted by the sniper.
PC Jim Squires, of South Norfolk police, said: 'Following reports from four motorists we launched a search of the area around the Tesco roundabout. We were unable to find the person responsible but we did find paintballs in an alleyway.
'There was no permanent damage caused to the cars but this could have caused an accident and posed a risk to people and we would like to trace the person responsible.
'They may also have been committing firearms offences depending on the type of weapon that was being used.'
Handling a paint gun in public is an offence under s.19 of the Firearms Act and more serious than those involved may realise, he added.
- 1 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 2 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
Police are appealing for information and for anyone else who suffered damage to their car to contact them. Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.