Police hunt gunman who fired paintballs at traffic
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
A paintball sniper who targeted passing traffic on the main road through Diss is being hunted by police.
Motorists on Victoria Road found themselves coming under attack on Saturday night from someone firing a paintball gun at cars.
At least four cars were hit as they drove close to the Tesco roundabout and police believe others may also have been targeted by the sniper.
PC Jim Squires, of South Norfolk police, said: 'Following reports from four motorists we launched a search of the area around the Tesco roundabout. We were unable to find the person responsible but we did find paintballs in an alleyway.
'There was no permanent damage caused to the cars but this could have caused an accident and posed a risk to people and we would like to trace the person responsible.
You may also want to watch:
'They may also have been committing firearms offences depending on the type of weapon that was being used.'
Handling a paint gun in public is an offence under s.19 of the Firearms Act and more serious than those involved may realise, he added.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
Police are appealing for information and for anyone else who suffered damage to their car to contact them. Anyone with information should call 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.