Power up for free as electric car charging switched on in South Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
Electric vehicle charging points have been switched on at car parks in Long Stratton and Wymondham with drivers being offered the chance to power up for free until the end of March.
South Norfolk Council is working with Swedish energy company Vattenfall to install the company's first UK InCharge charging stations across the district.
In partnership with British-based BMM Energy Solutions, charging stations, powered entirely from renewable, off shore wind generated, will also be up and running in Diss, Harleston and Loddon by the end of January.
The service will be free until March 31 after which drivers with Vattenfall's InCharge mobile app or charge card will be able to charge on a pay-as-you-go basis.
The charging points in town centres, combined with a lower overnight charging rate, will give residents not be able to charge a vehicle at home the opportunity to buy an electric car.
You may also want to watch:
District council cabinet member Lisa Neal said: 'We are working with our partners to ensure that South Norfolk residents and businesses can benefit from modern technology and help the environment at the same time. Our network of charging points will make it easier for electric vehicle owners to visit our market towns, knowing that they will be able to top up while they shop.'
For more information visit goincharge.com/uk/
- 1 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 2 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 3 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 4 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 8 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 9 Lorry driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving on A140
- 10 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results