Ram raiders target Norfolk stores
Adam GrettonDetectives are investigating ram raids that took place at two south Norfolk shops in the early hours of Saturday morning .Officers are looking into the possibility that the break ins at the Co-operative food store in Harleston town centre and the McColls Store in Hempnall were committed by the same offenders.Adam Gretton
Detectives are investigating ram raids that took place at two south Norfolk shops in the early hours of Saturday morning .
Officers are looking into the possibility that the break ins at the Co-operative food store in Harleston town centre and the McColls Store in Hempnall were committed by the same offenders.
Norfolk Police received a call at about 2am on Saturday following reports of an alarm sounding at the shop in Market Place, Harleston.
The glass doors were smashed and extensive damage was caused to the front of the store as the burglars stole an unknown quantity of cigarettes and alcohol.
A dark coloured 4x4, which is believed to have been used in the raid, was seen driving away from the crime scene at the time of the offence.
Two hours later, a delivery driver reported at 4.30am that the front doors of McColls in The Street, Hempnall, had been smashed by burglars. A quantity of alcohol and cigarettes were also taken.
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 7 Rare 19th century painting found in Norfolk home sells for £160k
- 8 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 9 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 10 Threat of more rail disruption as Greater Anglia workers are to be balloted for strikes
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said that there was a possibility that the two incidents were linked.
Scenes of crime investigators were at the Co-op in Harleston on Saturday and the store was closed whilst workmen made the shop front secure.
The McColls Store reopened on Saturday afternoon.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Norwich CID on 0845 456 4567.