Church bells to be rededicated for first time in 121 years
- Credit: Evelyn Simak
A once in a lifetime rededication service for bells at a village church will include the chance for parishioners to see the ringers live on a big screen.
The last time St Mary's Church at Redgrave, near Diss, held a rededication service was in 1898 and before that in 1784.
The Rev Martin Seeley, Bishop of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich, will rededicate the six bells at the service on September 1 following a refurbishment that has included equipping a camera to allow people at ground level to see the bell ringers in action.
The bells, which date from 1736 and 1785 and the bell-frame from 1784, underwent repairs at a specialist firm in Bridport including being re-tuned to form a better scale.
One third of the timber on the bell-frame had to be replaced, 100 joints taken apart and refitted. Tree ring dating of some of the replaced timbers confirmed the frame dating as the trees were felled in spring 1782.