Rescued horse gives birth to Gizmo
Matthew SparkesWhen Nooky the miniature Shetland was seized by the RSPCA, she had been badly neglected by her owners.She was suffering from hypothermia, infected insect bites and deformed hooves - but was also heavily pregnant.Matthew Sparkes
When Nooky the miniature Shetland was seized by the RSPCA, she had been badly neglected by her owners.
She was suffering from hypothermia, infected insect bites and deformed hooves - but was also heavily pregnant.
Now, after several weeks of care at Redwings Horse Sanctuary, she has recovered and given birth to a healthy foal named Gizmo.
'Nooky has made a fantastic recovery and we are delighted that little Gizmo is such a picture of health,' said head of welfare, Nicolas De Brauwere.
You may also want to watch:
'We are pleased that the Animal Welfare Act allows us to step in with cases like Nooky's so we can work with owners and intervene to prevent suffering before it really takes hold.'
The sanctuary had spotted neglected Nooky and become concerned about her welfare due to her appearance.
- 1 Norfolk teacher in national campaign for switching careers
- 2 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 3 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 4 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 5 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 7 Woman who sold stolen goods on eBay researched shoplifting online
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 Covid rates continue to slow but national deaths pass 100,000
- 10 Firefighters tackle Yaxley workshop blaze
In collaboration with the RSPCA, she was seized from her owners, who admitted they had not given her the care she needed.
Now both Nooky and Gizmo have a safe and permanent home at Redwings' Norfolk base.
So far this year the sanctuary has taken in over 180 horses, and seen the birth of 23 foals. Including Gizmo, 18 of these foals have been born by rescued mothers.