Thatched roof fire breaks out in Suffolk village
- Credit: Ixworth Fire station
Fire crews attended a thatched roof fire at a two storey home near Diss last night.
Crews were called to reports of a thatched fire just before 7pm Thursday at a property in the High Street in Thelnetham.
A spokesman for Suffolk Fire and Rescue said: "The property is two storey and it was around two metres of the chimney that was alight.
"There were six pumping appliances and three hose reels to tackle the fire.
"Crews also needed to gain access to the roof in order to strip the thatch that was around the chimney."
A stop call was made just after 10pm.
Initially 10 crews from Woodbridge, Bury St Edmunds, Ixworth, Newmarket, Diss and Thetford were dispatched but four crews were stood down.
- 1 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 2 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 3 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 4 Can you help bring Christmas cheer to teens in care?
- 5 Norfolk hair salon named best in region at national awards
- 6 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 7 Frustration as vulnerable people in Norfolk left waiting for Covid boosters
- 8 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 9 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 10 Norfolk hot honey sauce 'going out in pallet fulls' across the UK
It is not yet understood how the fire started.
Everyone was able to evacuate the house and no injuries were reported.