South Norfolk village set for mass strike
Hundreds of marchers will descend on a south Norfolk village at the weekend to commemorate the longest industrial action in history.The annual Burston Strike School Rally, which has been running for the last 26 years, will take place in the village, near Diss, on Sunday.
Hundreds of marchers will descend on a south Norfolk village at the weekend to commemorate the longest industrial action in history.
The annual Burston Strike School Rally, which has been running for the last 26 years, will take place in the village, near Diss, on Sunday.
Former Labour MP Tony Benn will be one of the guest speakers at the event, which marks the school strike that ran for 25 years.
His speech will be followed by a march around the village at 12.15pm, which will follow the original protest route adopted by children who went on strike in April 1914 after two teachers, Tom and Kitty Higdon, were dismissed from the Church of England county school for their union connections. The couple set up an alternative school, which ran until 1939.
You may also want to watch:
Other speakers on Sunday include Teresa Mackay, Unite regional women and equalities organiser, Len McCluskey, Unite assistant general secretary, and Christine Blower, NUT general secretary.
There will also be entertainment from Ian Saville, the Marxist magician.
- 1 £60 fine for resident who drove six miles to dump household rubbish in public bin
- 2 Care home's visitor pod helps residents stay connected with loved ones
- 3 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 4 Car carrying five people crashes into ditch
- 5 Six-year-old cycles 100 laps to raise money for homeless
- 6 Why Norfolk districts cannot be in different Covid tiers - yet
- 7 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 8 Call for government to listen to Norfolk over Tier 1 move
- 9 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 10 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140