Sports stars at Diss fun day
Adam Gretton Local sports stars from football, tennis, squash, running, and boxing were out in force yesterday for a fun day at a south Norfolk town.
Local sports stars from football, tennis, squash, running, and boxing were out in force yesterday for a fun day at a south Norfolk town.
Hundreds of people descended on the Heywood Sports and Racquet Club at Diss for the event, which was attended by ultra marathon runner Jackson Williams.
Around 300 sports fans paid a visit to the former Diss Squash Club, in Walcot Road, which changed ownership and its name four months ago.
Top county tennis and squash players were on hand to demonstrate their sport and members of Diss Town Football Club also attended for a training session and five-a-side match.
Ultra marathon runner Jackson Williams, who ran more than 3,000 miles across America last year, took part in a three hour treadmill challenge for the charity MEND. There were also other family attractions, including a bucking bronco, giant inflatable slide, bungee trampoline, rock climbing, children's roundabout, hog roast, and beer tent.
- 1 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 2 Three Suffolk pubs join forces for Jubilee weekend beer festival
- 3 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 4 Diss mayor hopes to see town 'prosper' following re-election
- 5 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 9 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 10 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
Fitness instructor Coco de la Terre said the weather had put a few people off, but the sports fun day was helping to promote the new opening.