Post office to remain closed until next week due to storm damage
- Credit: Simon Parkin
A main post office is to be closed until next week after storm damage left the roof unstable.
The risk of customers being hit by falling roof tiles following the Storm Ciara saw Diss Post Office closed unexpectedly on Monday, February 11.
The building on Market Place, which opened in 1953 and is one of the last Crown Post Offices still operating in the country, had to cordoned off to protect passers-by from being hit by falling debris.
A notice on the door explained to customers: "Due to loose roof tiles above the entrance this office has to close due to public safety".
MORE: Private operator to take over running of under threat Post OfficeConstruction work to repair the damage to the tiled roof will mean the office is closed until early next week.
A spokesperson for the Post Office said: "Public safety is obviously paramount and we can't have loose tiles falling down on people."
You may also want to watch:
Nearest alternative main post office services are available at Wortham, Dickleburgh, Eye and Garboldisham. Anyone needing more information can contact the Post Office helpline on 0345 7223344.
- 1 13 fire crews battle blaze at 'beautiful thatched house'
- 2 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 3 Severe damage caused to thatched cottage after blaze
- 4 Norfolk to feature in Steven Spielberg's Second World War TV series
- 5 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 6 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 7 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Spotlight on South Norfolk
- 8 Care home residents delighted by alpaca visit
- 9 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 10 Cash For Charites: Last call to apply for £20,000