Post office to remain closed until next week due to storm damage
- Credit: Simon Parkin
A main post office is to be closed until next week after storm damage left the roof unstable.
The risk of customers being hit by falling roof tiles following the Storm Ciara saw Diss Post Office closed unexpectedly on Monday, February 11.
The building on Market Place, which opened in 1953 and is one of the last Crown Post Offices still operating in the country, had to cordoned off to protect passers-by from being hit by falling debris.
A notice on the door explained to customers: "Due to loose roof tiles above the entrance this office has to close due to public safety".
MORE: Private operator to take over running of under threat Post OfficeConstruction work to repair the damage to the tiled roof will mean the office is closed until early next week.
A spokesperson for the Post Office said: "Public safety is obviously paramount and we can't have loose tiles falling down on people."
You may also want to watch:
Nearest alternative main post office services are available at Wortham, Dickleburgh, Eye and Garboldisham. Anyone needing more information can contact the Post Office helpline on 0345 7223344.
- 1 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 2 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 3 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Why I Love Norfolk: Ben and Matthew Conway
- 7 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 8 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 9 Council leader calls for 'zero tolerance' on abuse after MP's death
- 10 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants