Tense drama Suddenly Last Summer to be performed at Diss Corn Hall
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based Open Space Theatre Company brings Suddenly Last Summer, Tennessee Williams' tense drama, to the Corn Hall, Diss in November.
Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn starred in a 1950s movie based on the play.
It was followed in 1993 by a television adaptation starring Maggie Smith, Natasha Richardson and Richard E Grant.
Set in New Orleans in the early days of the use of lobotomies to 'cure' serious mental behaviour, Tennessee Williams' hard-hitting play centres around a young woman who is threatened with a risky brain operation in a desperate bid to stop her relating a macabre account of the death of her cousin.
Catharine Holly has witnessed the death of her cousin, Sebastian Venable, while the two were holidaying in Spain.
You may also want to watch:
But her devastating account of his death - and his lifestyle - cannot be accepted by his mother, Violet, who calls in a doctor with the aim of getting him to agree to undertake a lobotomy on Catharine, in order to silence her.
In the Open Space production, Cathy Edwards-Gill is Catharine and Joe Edwards the doctor.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 6 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 9 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
- 10 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
Director David Green said: 'In the days of Donald Trump and post-truth, this play has a contemporary feel as the characters struggle to separate truth from illusion.'
Open Space Theatre Company brings Suddenly Last Summer to the Corn Hall, Diss on Thursday, November 23 at 7.30pm.
Tickets are £11 or £9 for concessions.
Call the Corn Hall box office on 01379 652241 or visit www.thecornhall.co.uk