Tense drama Suddenly Last Summer to be performed at Diss Corn Hall
- Credit: Archant
Suffolk-based Open Space Theatre Company brings Suddenly Last Summer, Tennessee Williams' tense drama, to the Corn Hall, Diss in November.
Elizabeth Taylor and Katharine Hepburn starred in a 1950s movie based on the play.
It was followed in 1993 by a television adaptation starring Maggie Smith, Natasha Richardson and Richard E Grant.
Set in New Orleans in the early days of the use of lobotomies to 'cure' serious mental behaviour, Tennessee Williams' hard-hitting play centres around a young woman who is threatened with a risky brain operation in a desperate bid to stop her relating a macabre account of the death of her cousin.
Catharine Holly has witnessed the death of her cousin, Sebastian Venable, while the two were holidaying in Spain.
You may also want to watch:
But her devastating account of his death - and his lifestyle - cannot be accepted by his mother, Violet, who calls in a doctor with the aim of getting him to agree to undertake a lobotomy on Catharine, in order to silence her.
In the Open Space production, Cathy Edwards-Gill is Catharine and Joe Edwards the doctor.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 4 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 7 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 8 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 9 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 10 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
Director David Green said: 'In the days of Donald Trump and post-truth, this play has a contemporary feel as the characters struggle to separate truth from illusion.'
Open Space Theatre Company brings Suddenly Last Summer to the Corn Hall, Diss on Thursday, November 23 at 7.30pm.
Tickets are £11 or £9 for concessions.
Call the Corn Hall box office on 01379 652241 or visit www.thecornhall.co.uk