Thatched roof fire at Garboldisham
Sixty firefighters were this evening tackling a roof blaze at a thatched cottage on the Norfolk-Suffolk border.Nine appliances are currently at the scene of the fire at The Ling, in Garboldisham, near Diss.
Sixty firefighters were this evening tackling a roof blaze at a thatched cottage on the Norfolk-Suffolk border.
Nine appliances are currently at the scene of the fire at The Ling, in Garboldisham, near Diss.
Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service was called just after 2pm today after a neighbour reported smoke coming from the roof of the 17th century cottage.
The occupants evacuated the building and no one was injured.
Crews from East Harling, Diss, Thetford, Attleborough, Wymondham, and two from Suffolk attended the blaze, which has destroyed the majority of the thatched roof.
Firefighters salvaged much of the furniture and possessions from the large detached house.
- 1 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 2 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 3 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 4 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 5 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 6 The 4 most wanted men in Norfolk
- 7 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 8 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
An investigation into the cause of the blaze has been launched, which is believed to have been caused by a wood burner.
See tomorrow's EDP for more.