Tony Benn to speak at Burston rally
Labour activist Tony Benn will be making a return visit to south Norfolk as one of the guest speakers at this year's Burston Strike School Rally. The annual event commemorates what is believed to be the longest strike in history, lasting 25 years.
Labour activist Tony Benn will be making a return visit to south Norfolk as one of the guest speakers at this year's Burston Strike School Rally.
The annual event commemorates what is believed to be the longest strike in history, lasting 25 years. It started when local children boycotted the village school, in April 1914, in support of teachers Kitty and Tom Higdon who were sacked for their socialist and trade union views.
A rival school was set up on the village green where the Higdons provided an education for local children until 1939.
Now a museum, the strike school has become a focus for an annual rally, to be held on Sunday, September 6 from 11am to 4.30pm. This year's theme is the 50th anniversary of the Cuban revolution, and Mr Benn will be addressing the gathering during the morning.
You may also want to watch:
The other guest speakers are Luis Marron, a political counsellor at the Cuban Embassy; MEP Richard Howitt, Diane Holland, Unite assistant general secretary, and poet John Hegley.
There will be a traditional parade of union banners around the village recreating the protest march by the schoolchildren in 1914. It will be led by the Paseo Malanga Carnival Band. The rally, at Church Green, includes a live music salsa and folk session, children's fun area, food and beer tent, and campaign and community stalls.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 3 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 4 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
Mr Benn has been a key speaker on previous occasions.