Villagers fear pub may never reopen
Villagers fear a pub which has now been shut for nine months may never re-open.The White Hart - one of three pubs at Stradbroke - closed at the end of last summer when the licensee suddenly departed.
Villagers fear a pub which has now been shut for nine months may never re-open.
The White Hart - one of three pubs at Stradbroke - closed at the end of last summer when the licensee suddenly departed.
Owner, Punch Taverns, has been trying to re-let the lease ever since but so far there have been no takers.
Now villagers fear there may be a further attempt to obtain permission to convert the pub for residential use and build homes on its extensive gardens.
You may also want to watch:
The first attempt, made by a previous owner, failed when villagers launched a strong campaign, culminating in a refusal by Mid Suffolk District Council to grant planning permission.
However, with two other pubs in a village of only a few hundred people, some people believe an economic future for three pubs may be unsustainable.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 6 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 9 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
- 10 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
Parish council chairman, Annie Kerr, said there were still hopes that the pub would re-open.
“However, we've got to be realistic and it may be that new landlords cannot be found. It will depend on the terms being offered for the lease,” she said.
Members of a successful bowls club attached to the White Hart have been continuing with their fixtures during the pub's closure.
“It is a thriving club and everyone will fight to keep it open, not only the club members but the wider community,” one member said.
A spokeswoman for Punch Taverns said: “Our priority is to get the White Hart, Stradbroke, open for trade as soon as possible.
“We are committed to building a successful future for this pub and currently in the process of recruiting a high calibre licensee.
“If any readers are interested in finding more about this opportunity, they can ring our recruitment team on 0844 848 3279 for further details.”