Villagers fear pub may never reopen
Villagers fear a pub which has now been shut for nine months may never re-open.The White Hart - one of three pubs at Stradbroke - closed at the end of last summer when the licensee suddenly departed.
Villagers fear a pub which has now been shut for nine months may never re-open.
The White Hart - one of three pubs at Stradbroke - closed at the end of last summer when the licensee suddenly departed.
Owner, Punch Taverns, has been trying to re-let the lease ever since but so far there have been no takers.
Now villagers fear there may be a further attempt to obtain permission to convert the pub for residential use and build homes on its extensive gardens.
You may also want to watch:
The first attempt, made by a previous owner, failed when villagers launched a strong campaign, culminating in a refusal by Mid Suffolk District Council to grant planning permission.
However, with two other pubs in a village of only a few hundred people, some people believe an economic future for three pubs may be unsustainable.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 3 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 6 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 7 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 8 Council leader calls for 'zero tolerance' on abuse after MP's death
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
Parish council chairman, Annie Kerr, said there were still hopes that the pub would re-open.
“However, we've got to be realistic and it may be that new landlords cannot be found. It will depend on the terms being offered for the lease,” she said.
Members of a successful bowls club attached to the White Hart have been continuing with their fixtures during the pub's closure.
“It is a thriving club and everyone will fight to keep it open, not only the club members but the wider community,” one member said.
A spokeswoman for Punch Taverns said: “Our priority is to get the White Hart, Stradbroke, open for trade as soon as possible.
“We are committed to building a successful future for this pub and currently in the process of recruiting a high calibre licensee.
“If any readers are interested in finding more about this opportunity, they can ring our recruitment team on 0844 848 3279 for further details.”