Vote for your favourite watering hole in South Norfolk Community Pub of the Year contest
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Punters are being asked to name their favourite watering hole when the South Norfolk Community Pub of the Year competition returns for its sixth year.
Landlords have pulled out all the stops to try and win the contest in past years, organised by South Norfolk Council in a bid to fight back against pub closures by promoting and supporting venues across the district.
This year will be no different as customers are asked to nominate their favourite pub by July 31, after which a judging panel including Mercury editor Andrew Papworth will select five neighbourhood winners across the district.
The judges - who also include councillors Martin Wilby and Sue Thompson, as well as Terry Stork, local representative for the Pub is the Hub charity - will then pick an overall winner, who will receive a £1,000 prize.
They will be given the use of South Norfolk Council's events team to organise an event of their choice for the whole community.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Wilby said: 'Our pubs play a huge part in local life and through this competition we strive to support them, help raise their profile and make sure they're here to stay. So whether it's the real ales, the hosting of local events, running the local shop or Post Office, the friendly atmosphere or delicious local food, we want to hear what makes your favourite pub so special.
'Show them how much you value your local by voting for them now.'
- 1 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
Mr Papworth added: 'I am delighted to be a judge for this competition.
'Everybody knows that pubs have had a tough time in recent years and that is why we all need to support them as much as we can.
'Despite the difficult economic climate, many pubs have upped their game and done great things in order to survive and grow. This is about recognising the best our area has to offer.'
Last year's South Norfolk Community Pub of the Year competition was won by the Green Dragon in Wymondham.
Landlord Justin Harvey said: 'A pub is much more than just a place to eat and drink. It is the heart of the community - a place for people to meet and a place where community projects and fund-raising events are hatched and organised.'
Vote for your favourite community pub by texting 80010 with the word 'Pub' followed by the name and location of the pub and why you think they should win.
Alternatively email your nomination to email@example.com or call 01508 533945.