Appleton has final say in seven-goal thriller between Mulbarton and Aylsham

Mulbarton Wanderers, newly promoted to Division One of the Almary Green Anglian Combination, line-up

Mulbarton Wanderers, newly promoted to Division One of the Almary Green Anglian Combination, line-up for the camera before their win over Aylsham. - Credit: Archant

Mulbarton Wanderers enjoyed a 4-3 win at Aylsham.

Mulbarton Wanderers 4 Aylsham 3

Wanderers arrived at Mulberry Park to find the pitch in great condition, new nets and the tea hut up and running, advertising boards around the ground as well as the first ever match day programme.

Despite the good conditions they struggled to put a string of passes together early on and the visitors took the lead on ten minutes when a corner wasn't dealt with and the ball fell to an Aylsham player to thump it into the top corner.

Wanderers found an equaliser on 17 minutes when a more measured ball from defence to attack resulted in a great first time finish from Luke Appleton after Freemantle had slipped him in on goal.

Not long afterwards an inability to maintain possession cost the hosts again and a shot squirmed through the arms of Clifford and was then turned in from close range.

On 35 minutes the Mulbarton strikers combined to bring the score level again. This time Appleton played Bailey through and though his initial shot was deflected by the goalkeeper his second effort curled in off the post from a right angle.

Most Read

Bailey then had a golden opportunity to score again before half-time but he failed to keep his shot down.

Mulbarton started the second half in better fashion and a superb corner from Freemantle rebounded off the far post to the feet of Bailey who made no mistake for his second of the game.

However the visitors were in no mood to roll over and they were awarded a penalty in the 55th minute after a rash tackle by Challen. Clifford, as he so often does, made the penalty save but an Aylsham player got to the rebound first to finish from close range.

The final goal of the game was courtesy of another Freemantle corner, this time it was met by Appleton. and his header was powerful and accurate, flying into the net from eight yards.

Sensing an Aylsham onslaught the hosts made changes, setting themselves up to frustrate, and thanks to some good game management they held on for the final 15 minutes to earn all three points. Next up it's Stalham Town at home (2.30pm).