Armes goals sends Diss Town fans home happy
- Credit: Archant
Diss Tn 1 Gt Yarmouth Tn 0
Diss Town finished 2015 with only their third clean sheet of the season so far.
They also managed to end a disappointing run of three points from the five league games played since the magnificent 5-1 win against Debenham on October 24.
It sent the highest home crowd of the season, 189, home in a good mood after a tetchy game saw nine yellow cards shown.
There was a slow start to the game, although some untidy challenges had several players looking for action and retribution.
You may also want to watch:
One of the best tackles of the game, from visiting defender Jordan Forbes, came in the 17th minute and denied Jamie George as he moved into the penalty area and on to a pass from Danny Self which had taken a deflection. Jason Armes was high from just inside the penalty area four minutes later when a free-kick from Self was headed out.
Diss took the lead in the 23rd minute after a well-worked move. Self played the ball forward to Armes, who was playing in a more attacking role than usual in the place of the suspended Kyle Downes, around 25 yards out in a central position. He chested the ball down for George to knock the ball into space. Armes took the ball from 20 yards out, holding off a defender, before getting into enough space to shoot in from 14 yards out.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 8 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 9 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
- 10 Norfolk patients’ group welcomes choice of face-to-face GP consultations
Connor Deeks rode two challenges before sending his 34th-minute shot into the waiting arms of Will Izod from 25 yards out.
Just before half-time Diss felt that Deeks should have been sent off as George was brought down in a central position on the edge of the 'D'.
With seven minutes to play Diss had a great chance to ease some of the tension around Brewers Green Lane. Self was brought down on the edge of the penalty area out wide. A penalty was awarded, but the kick from Self cleared the bar and the stand. The Tangerines were grateful to another fine save from Izod, diving low to his right, to keep out another free-kick from Deeks with three minutes left to play.
Diss: Izod, Gibbons, Barrett, Greenslade, Gilding, Appleton, Armes (Brown 71), Self, Manning, George, Olpin. Subs not used: Wenham, Powley, Norman. Att: 189.
DE Rissmann and Son man of the match: Will Izod.