Athletics: WAC brave the frosty weather
Snow and freezing temperatures failed to deter members of Wymondham AC at the weekend.
A hardy group of six travelled to Shouldham Warren to tackle a 9k cross country course.
The difficult running conditions of hard snow, iced-over stretches and some deep snow accounted for relatively slow times.
However, in cross country events it is the position which counts and all WAC members were placed well in their respective age groups – Eva Osborne 1st W55, Sharon Hurren and Gerry Watson 2nd W35 and M55, Louis Cooper 4th M60, Kim Reader 5th W35 and John Dungar 8th Senior.
Other runners opted for the Valentine's 10k, the second event in the Runners' Center Grand Prix series. Held on mainly clear country lanes, the going was much easier and some good times were achieved.
You may also want to watch:
Second overall and just eight seconds behind the winner was James Preston. His time of 32.26 was not only a personal best, but also an all-time club record in the under-25 age group. He gave Wymondham's senior men a good start and together with Jason Mountain (38.38) and new member Tim Johnson (55.45) they collected the first team prize.
Two further individual trophies went WAC runners. Andy Preston (37.30) M45 and Richard White (38.57) M50 won their respective ages. In the M55 group, Terry Epps produced another solid run, reaching the finish line in 40.53.
- 1 New PCC - I will lobby home secretary to crackdown on police abusers
- 2 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 3 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 4 Lockdown to be eased: what else can I do from May 17?
- 5 'Your efforts have paid off' - Further lockdown lifting confirmed for May 17
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 8 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 9 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 10 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
Leading the WAC ladies home was Samantha Epps in a personal best time of 45.29, followed by Jo Jesney (48.22), Patsy Bradley (51.54), Cassie Barker (53.13), Anne Martin (56.17), Wendy Burgess (58.57), Cindy Burgess (60.24) and Wendy Larke (63.35).