Back to league for Diss after cup win
AFTER their progression in the Norfolk Senior Cup, it's back to Ridgeons League action for Diss Town.Second-placed Diss host Halstead, who are four from bottom in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday then on Tuesday, they travel to Swaffham in the League Cup first round.
AFTER their progression in the Norfolk Senior Cup, it's back to Ridgeons League action for Diss Town.
Second-placed Diss host Halstead, who are four from bottom in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday then on Tuesday, they travel to Swaffham in the League Cup first round.
Acle United 0, Diss Town 1
You may also want to watch:
DISS negotiated a tricky-looking Norfolk Senior Cup tie against Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Acle to move into the last 16, writes Tony Collins.
Diss lost influential central defender Paul Nichols to a knee injury in the pre-match warm-up. Dave Adams came in for his first start of the season.
- 1 A140 cleared after being partially blocked following crash
- 2 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 3 Where in Norfolk can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 6 Car carrying five people crashes into ditch
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 10 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
Acle started well and had an early penalty claim for hand-ball against Mark Shadrack turned away. Ben Soanes, for Diss, and Ben Murphy, for Acle, missed reasonable chances. Brendan Foley had a fine match and did well to time his tackle to perfection to deny Dean Crosbie a shooting chance just before half-time.
The only goal of the game came in the 47th minute when Ben Soanes shot in after the Acle defence had blocked shots from Sam Bryant and Jason Hunt. Hunt had a shot deflected wide in a good spell of Diss pressure.
Mark Shadrack struck a 30 yard shot against the bar and Soanes hit the bar from inside the penalty area as Diss tried to increase their lead.
At the other end Matt Webster made a fine save from Lewis Holdsworth with 15 minutes left and Jonny King cleared off the goal line. A last-gasp chance fell to Daniel Foreman to send the match into extra time but he put his shot over the bar from eight yards out.
The draw for the fourth round (matches to be played on November 21) will be made tomorrow (Fri) night on Radio Norfolk between 6.30 and 7pm.
Dereham, King's Lynn Reserves, Norwich United and Wroxham from the Premier Division join Anglian Combination sides Scole United, Loddon, Sheringham and Spixworth while the other Ridgeons Division One sides to go through are Great Yarmouth, Fakenham and Gorleston.