Back to league for Diss after cup win
AFTER their progression in the Norfolk Senior Cup, it's back to Ridgeons League action for Diss Town.Second-placed Diss host Halstead, who are four from bottom in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday then on Tuesday, they travel to Swaffham in the League Cup first round.
AFTER their progression in the Norfolk Senior Cup, it's back to Ridgeons League action for Diss Town.
Second-placed Diss host Halstead, who are four from bottom in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday then on Tuesday, they travel to Swaffham in the League Cup first round.
Acle United 0, Diss Town 1
You may also want to watch:
DISS negotiated a tricky-looking Norfolk Senior Cup tie against Anglian Combination Premier Division leaders Acle to move into the last 16, writes Tony Collins.
Diss lost influential central defender Paul Nichols to a knee injury in the pre-match warm-up. Dave Adams came in for his first start of the season.
- 1 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 4 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 7 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 8 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 9 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
Acle started well and had an early penalty claim for hand-ball against Mark Shadrack turned away. Ben Soanes, for Diss, and Ben Murphy, for Acle, missed reasonable chances. Brendan Foley had a fine match and did well to time his tackle to perfection to deny Dean Crosbie a shooting chance just before half-time.
The only goal of the game came in the 47th minute when Ben Soanes shot in after the Acle defence had blocked shots from Sam Bryant and Jason Hunt. Hunt had a shot deflected wide in a good spell of Diss pressure.
Mark Shadrack struck a 30 yard shot against the bar and Soanes hit the bar from inside the penalty area as Diss tried to increase their lead.
At the other end Matt Webster made a fine save from Lewis Holdsworth with 15 minutes left and Jonny King cleared off the goal line. A last-gasp chance fell to Daniel Foreman to send the match into extra time but he put his shot over the bar from eight yards out.
The draw for the fourth round (matches to be played on November 21) will be made tomorrow (Fri) night on Radio Norfolk between 6.30 and 7pm.
Dereham, King's Lynn Reserves, Norwich United and Wroxham from the Premier Division join Anglian Combination sides Scole United, Loddon, Sheringham and Spixworth while the other Ridgeons Division One sides to go through are Great Yarmouth, Fakenham and Gorleston.