Bedwell claims a hat-trick
In the MSC Alliance Section B, Stradbroke A beat Southwold by seven wickets.After their promotion last year, Stradbroke A finally completed a match with a bloodless win at a very beautiful, if distinctly cold, Southwold.
In the MSC Alliance Section B, Stradbroke A beat Southwold by seven wickets.
After their promotion last year, Stradbroke A finally completed a match with a bloodless win at a very beautiful, if distinctly cold, Southwold.
No strangers to these conditions, home openers Tim Porter and Keith Pettman decided upon caution over extravagance, to the extent that only 42 runs came off 20 overs, with just Pettman dismissed by Steve Warner for 20.
Warner then took two more to finish with 3-9 off 10 overs.
You may also want to watch:
It would take something special to eclipse that as the bowling feat of the day, but that is exactly what Lee Bedwell did.
His first trick was to force Porter to hole out for 42.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 4 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 5 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 6 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 7 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 8 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 9 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
- 10 All you need to know ahead of the Old Buckenham Airshow 2021
David Allum took two wickets, Bedwell then clean-bowled two in two balls.
Vultures circled around the last batsman for the hat-trick ball, the pad was struck, the fielders appealed more in hope than expectation, up went the umpire's finger. Bedwell had done it. All that was left was knocking off the 96 runs required.
Allum batted through 32 overs for a noble 52, sharing stands of 34 with Stuart Taylor, 13 with Warner, 23 with Alex Fitchett, and finally 26 with Michael Hugman, to secure the points.
Southwold 95 (T Porter 42, K Pettman 20, L Bedwell 5-25, S Warner 3-9).
Stradbroke A 96-3 (D Allum 52no).