Big win for high-flying Attleborough
- Credit: Archant
Attleborough Town 5 Waveney 3
Anglian Combination Division Two leaders Waveney were the visitors as Attleborough looked to bounce back from the previous week's disappointing defeat.
It took just four minutes for Boro to open the scoring as Whitman did well to turn in the box and lay the ball onto Wright who plundered the ball home from six yards.
G Mann was then denied by a smart save by the Waveney goalkeeper as his header looked destined for the net. From the resulting corner, Whitman flicked the ball on, the 'keeper could only parry onto the head of Beales who nodded home from a yard.
Boro continued their dream start on the half-hour mark. G Mann picked up a loose ball and arrowed a 40-yard crossfield pass to the feet of K Brown. The winger then drove the ball home from the edge of the box to make it 3-0. It was four as another in-swinging M Brown corner was met by the head of Whitman.
But the second half began in completely different fashion and a soft free-kick led to a Waveney goal. Seven minutes later, Boro were caught napping again as the winger bundled his way through and squared for the attacker to bundle home.
Wetteland was introduced and it didn't take him long to make an impact. K Brown produced a great run into the box and a rebound off the defender fell kindly to Wetteland who duly obliged and stroked the ball home.
- 1 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 2 ‘This was our worst nightmare’: Locals shock after man dies in crash
- 3 Heavy rain forecast for the rest of the week in Norfolk but snow unlikely
- 4 Warning issued over fake Omicron variant test scam
- 5 What to see in the sky in December: The 'Cold Moon' and meteor showers
- 6 'No excuses' is the message as festive anti-drink drive campaign launched
- 7 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 8 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 9 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 10 'Don’t try and book until the NHS says it is your turn' — PM on booster rollout
Five minutes from time and Waveney had another lifeline given to them, thanks to a penalty, which set up a tense finale, but Boro managed to hang on for the remaining few minutes to secure a vital three points.
On Saturday, Boro face another promotion rival when they make the trip to Sprowston Athletic.