Brace of victories is enough to keep Hethersett Hawks’ play-off claims on track
- Credit: Archant
Hethersett Hawks/Myhill Decorators continued to keep their play-off chances alive after two wins in seven days in the South East and Eastern League Division One.
Having completed the double over local rivals Norwich Stars in an action-packed typical derby clash they took a much weaker team to face bottom club East London and just came away from the capital with the points.
Scott Grimes made a welcome return against Norwich and he supported Dan Chambers and Leigh Cossey well and the Hawks had too much depth for the Stars who relied heavily on Lee Grange and Paddy Wenn.
A 7-3 win by ever-improving Owen Wells and experienced Glyn Morgan brought the Hawks level at the interval at Canning Town Rec and it was Wells again who teamed up with top tactician Harley Hamill for two more wins in the second half. This gave Hethersett a four-point advantage going into the last heat and Hamill made no mistake to win the race and secure his team victory. The Hawks gave first team debuts to Daniel Longlands and Ayrin Larter while Danny Machin had his first-ever competitive racing.
The Division Two match against Norwich was abandoned after Norwich rider Bruce Rainbow fell in heat five and needed an ambulance for an ankle injury. At East London the Hawks' B team retained their unbeaten record with a comfortable victory spearheaded by unbeaten rides from Hamill, Wells, Morgan and Dan Butler while Machin recorded two wins. Highlight of the midweek Norfolk GO-RIDE series at Harford Park was an Under-10 win in his first match for BMX rider Shaun Kell who attends Hethersett club nights on Tuesdays.
You may also want to watch:
This Saturday three Hethersett riders, Hamill, Butler and Katie Adams, represent Ireland in Bury (Greater Manchester) while the Hawks entertain Sussex side Hellingly at the Memorial Playing Field on Sunday (2pm).
League results, Division One: Hethersett 85 Norwich 71 (D Chamber 16, L Cossey 16, S Grimes 13, D Butler 11, O Wells 10, O Buxton 10, H Hamill 6, G Morgan 3). East London 78 Hethersett 82 (H Hamill 18, O Wells 18, D Butler 17, G Morgan 12, D Longlands 7, K Adams 5, D Machin 3, A Later 2). Division Two: East London B 65 Hethersett B 95 (H Hamill 20, O Wells 17, D Butler 15, G Morgan 14, D Machin 11, A Larter 8, D Lomglands 6, K Adams 4).
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 'Power of the high vis jacket' - Out with town's Covid watchdogs
- 3 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 4 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 5 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 6 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 10 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse