Bunwell back to winning ways again
Bunwell beat Saxlingham by one run in the R J Bidewell Division Three.
Bunwell returned to winning ways with a hard-fought victory over a Saxlingham side that included ex-Canary Craig Fleming.
After winning the toss, Bunwell decided to bowl first on a slightly damp wicket.
Once again Aston and Barber opened the bowling and both made the batsmen work very hard for any runs, until after six overs Barber was out.
Aston carried on with his excellent work from previous games and bowled 10 very tight overs for just 23 runs.
You may also want to watch:
The turning point in the game, though, came from the two old spin masters G Robbie and I Nichols, who had the batsmen tied up in all sorts of knots and not one batsman made double figures until Neave came to the crease to hit a quick-fire 23. Saxlingham finished their 40 overs with 116.
The only downfall for Bunwell was not getting 10 wickets, which was probably due to the three dropped catches going down in the field.
- 1 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 2 Victorian rectory in 5.5 acres for sale for £1.35m
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Mapped: How will the electoral changes impact you?
- 5 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 6 Search for Norfolk neighbours to take on Suffolk in food waste fight
- 7 Buses converted into Covid testing units ahead of expected third wave
- 8 Lockdown to be eased: what else can I do from May 17?
- 9 Six things to see when Norfolk's museums reopen on May 17
- 10 Shake-up will see 73 of 84 Norfolk wards changed
Bunwell were quietly confident of reaching the total after previous batting performances, but were made to work extremely hard to finally reach the score in the 36th over.
G Barnes was first man out with the score only on 20 off six overs. Hipperson, Cannell, Parfitt and Dodd all reached double figures but then gave their wickets away relatively cheaply.
Aston came out in his usual style and decided to try to win the game in one over rather than in just singles, and his rapid 20 though took Bunwell to within five runs.
A few nerves were shredded towards the end, but G Robbie saw them through with three not out to undoubtedly claim the man of the match award.
Saxlingham: T Snelling c-b Nichols 30, M Creasy c Cannell b Barber 8, W Fleming c Henderson b Aston 5, N Pearce b Robbie 8, H Abbott c Barber b Robbie 2, S Burridge st Parfitt b Robbie 7, C Fleming b Robbie 8, C Neave c Aston b Robbie 23, D Verle c Dodd b Robbie 1, F Benton not out 3, J Mendham not out 1. Total (9 wkts): 116. Bowling: N Aston 10-4-23-1, N Barber 9-2-41-1, I Nichols 10-2-28-1, G Robbie 10-3-21-6, J Hipperson 1-0-2-0.
Bunwell: G Barnes c Pearce b C Fleming 5, J Hipperson b Mendham 18, D Cannell c Burrige b Neave 22, D Parfitt c Snelling b Pearce 22, P Dodd c Neave b Pearce 13, A Henderson lbw b Neave 1, A Pattison lbw b Neave 7, N Aston b Snelling 20, G Robbie not out 3, I Nichols not out 0. Total (8 wkts) 117. Bowling: C Fleming 10-2-24-1, J Mendham 7-1-31-1, N Pearce 8-0-36-2, C Neave 8-2-14-3, T Snelling 2.5-0-9-1.