Cash boost for ski ace
TJ Baldwin, Great Britain's No 1 Junior racer, has just received a huge cash boost to help fund his programme on the GB Europa Cup ski team. For the second year running the 19-year-old from Tharston has been awarded the maximum �5000 grant as part of the Norfolk Rising star awards.
TJ Baldwin, Great Britain's No 1 Junior racer, has just received a huge cash boost to help fund his programme on the GB Europa Cup ski team.
For the second year running the 19-year-old from Tharston has been awarded the maximum �5000 grant as part of the Norfolk Rising star awards.
The awards are funded by the Norfolk Sports & Cultural foundation which supports young talented athletes and artists on the road to Olympics including London 2012.
TJ will be racing in the Europa Cup Downhill and Super G series throughout this season and some NorAm cup races in Canada in December.
You may also want to watch:
'I am really delighted to get the Rising Stars funding again. It is a massive boost to me and will help to fund part of my season training and racing with the GB team in Europe and North America. I will now definitely be able to compete in all of the Europa Cup Downhill and Super G races this season and at the World Junior champs in France in February.
'Without the funding I was in serious danger of not being able to compete full time. Competing on the Europa Cup circuit and gaining a top 20 result will qualify me to race at the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in February.
- 1 New PCC - I will lobby home secretary to crackdown on police abusers
- 2 Family to open cafe named for 'cheeky' twins who fought rare disease
- 3 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 4 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 5 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 6 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 7 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 8 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 9 Lorry driver arrested on suspicion of drink driving on A140
- 10 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
'I am also aiming for a top 10 in both Downhill and Super G at the World Junior Champs.
'It's fantastic that I have been awarded the maximum amount again, and hopefully I will pull off the results to justify it.'
TJ is currently ranked No 1 GB Junior in all five disciplines - Downhill, Super G, GS, Slalom and Super Combined. He is also top 30 in the World Junior rankings in both Super G (28th) and Downhill (30th).