CRICKET: Morgan a good example of Stradbroke philosophy
The mantra of Stradbroke CC has always been to encourage and develop young cricketers, which is hard work.
The joy comes when the fruits of their labour is fulfilled. Fergus Morgan, 18, can be described as a likeable, dedicated left arm medium pace bowler. Suddenly, the batsman inside has been unleashed, with a wild weekend of stroke play, and two crucial innings.
Against St Margarets II in the TCL chasing 149, with the tail for company, he decided to chance his arm, except he played proper shots, straight and cover drives, measured leg side shots.
Considering the last five batsmen added precisely six runs between them, Morgan's career best 40* shone like a beacon, getting the Vikings over the line for a one-wicket win.
Fast forward to Sunday against Rumburgh, batting first, with 10 overs remaining the A team had just 106 runs on the board.
He remembered the previous day and set about the bowling.
A slower pitch and outfield restricted his driving, but he played square on both sides, and ran every single he could.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
His 36* took the final total to 169, which turned out to be a winning score, by five runs.