CRICKET: Morgan a good example of Stradbroke philosophy
The mantra of Stradbroke CC has always been to encourage and develop young cricketers, which is hard work.
The joy comes when the fruits of their labour is fulfilled. Fergus Morgan, 18, can be described as a likeable, dedicated left arm medium pace bowler. Suddenly, the batsman inside has been unleashed, with a wild weekend of stroke play, and two crucial innings.
Against St Margarets II in the TCL chasing 149, with the tail for company, he decided to chance his arm, except he played proper shots, straight and cover drives, measured leg side shots.
Considering the last five batsmen added precisely six runs between them, Morgan's career best 40* shone like a beacon, getting the Vikings over the line for a one-wicket win.
Fast forward to Sunday against Rumburgh, batting first, with 10 overs remaining the A team had just 106 runs on the board.
You may also want to watch:
He remembered the previous day and set about the bowling.
A slower pitch and outfield restricted his driving, but he played square on both sides, and ran every single he could.
- 1 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
- 2 Funeral directors flooded again as village hit by downpour
- 3 'It's opened my eyes' - What is it really like having coronavirus?
- 4 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 5 The areas of Norfolk where Covid cases are now falling
- 6 Town's Estate Agent offers to print school work for children during lockdown
- 7 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 8 Weather warning issued for icy surfaces
- 9 Revealed: 13 new large vaccination sites to open in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 Record Covid highs for three areas of Norfolk
His 36* took the final total to 169, which turned out to be a winning score, by five runs.