CRICKET: Morgan a good example of Stradbroke philosophy
The mantra of Stradbroke CC has always been to encourage and develop young cricketers, which is hard work.
The joy comes when the fruits of their labour is fulfilled. Fergus Morgan, 18, can be described as a likeable, dedicated left arm medium pace bowler. Suddenly, the batsman inside has been unleashed, with a wild weekend of stroke play, and two crucial innings.
Against St Margarets II in the TCL chasing 149, with the tail for company, he decided to chance his arm, except he played proper shots, straight and cover drives, measured leg side shots.
Considering the last five batsmen added precisely six runs between them, Morgan's career best 40* shone like a beacon, getting the Vikings over the line for a one-wicket win.
Fast forward to Sunday against Rumburgh, batting first, with 10 overs remaining the A team had just 106 runs on the board.
You may also want to watch:
He remembered the previous day and set about the bowling.
A slower pitch and outfield restricted his driving, but he played square on both sides, and ran every single he could.
- 1 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 2 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 3 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 4 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 5 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 6 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 7 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 8 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 9 Air ambulance to fly with 'vital' life saving blood every mission
- 10 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
His 36* took the final total to 169, which turned out to be a winning score, by five runs.