CRICKET: Morgan a good example of Stradbroke philosophy
The mantra of Stradbroke CC has always been to encourage and develop young cricketers, which is hard work.
The joy comes when the fruits of their labour is fulfilled. Fergus Morgan, 18, can be described as a likeable, dedicated left arm medium pace bowler. Suddenly, the batsman inside has been unleashed, with a wild weekend of stroke play, and two crucial innings.
Against St Margarets II in the TCL chasing 149, with the tail for company, he decided to chance his arm, except he played proper shots, straight and cover drives, measured leg side shots.
Considering the last five batsmen added precisely six runs between them, Morgan's career best 40* shone like a beacon, getting the Vikings over the line for a one-wicket win.
Fast forward to Sunday against Rumburgh, batting first, with 10 overs remaining the A team had just 106 runs on the board.
You may also want to watch:
He remembered the previous day and set about the bowling.
A slower pitch and outfield restricted his driving, but he played square on both sides, and ran every single he could.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 4 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 5 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 6 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 7 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 10 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
His 36* took the final total to 169, which turned out to be a winning score, by five runs.