Cruel blow for Harleston in final
Harleston Town 3, West Lynn SCC 3 (Lynn won 8-7 on penalties)Harleston were cruelly denied lifting the Cyril Ballyn Trophy for the first time in their history.
Harleston Town 3, West Lynn SCC 3 (Lynn won 8-7 on penalties)
Harleston were cruelly denied lifting the Cyril Ballyn Trophy for the first time in their history.
They were defeated on penalties having had victory snatched away by a controversial penalty decision in the last minute of extra time.
Harleston entered the game as massive underdogs against a West Lynn side who are unbeaten since October and top of Division Two, one above Harleston - and having already lifted the Norfolk Junior Cup at Carrow Road this season they were going for an historic treble.
Town took the lead, Norman robbing the defender before playing the ball to Goodwin Wright whose 20-yard shot beat the onrushing keeper. Imrie made a surging run and was brought down and Norman buried the penalty, keeping up his record of scoring in every round.
In the second half, Lynn introduced their manager and King's Lynn's new manager for next season, Gary Setchell into the fray. His free-kick was drilled straight into the Harleston wall and the referee controversially pointed to the spot after he adjudged that the ball had struck a Harleston player's arm within the wall.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 3 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 4 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 5 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 6 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 7 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 8 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
Lynn then threw everything at Town and, despite valiant defending, Lynn drew level. In extra time Burrett picked the ball up just in the Lynn half and was allowed to travel with the ball before unleashing an unstoppable 25-yard shot into the roof of the net. But, with seconds left, a shot struck a Harleston player in the face, the referee gave a controversial penalty to Lynn for hand ball. In the shoot-out all the first 10 penalties were scored and in sudden death Lynn eventually won.
Despite defeat, Harleston will take great positives from outplaying a higher level team for large periods. In the next game Harleston lost 3-0 to promoted Foulsham.