Crunch game for Tangerines
Diss Town visit Great Yarmouth Town for a crunch game on Saturday while the reserves host their Debenham LC counterparts.Diss Town finished 2008 with their fourth successive home win in all competitions, beating Thetford Town 3-1.
Diss Town visit Great Yarmouth Town for a crunch game on Saturday while the reserves host their Debenham LC counterparts.
Diss Town finished 2008 with their fourth successive home win in all competitions, beating Thetford Town 3-1.
The local derby win took their points tally to 13 in the last five games and sets them up for tough away games at fellow promotion chasers Yarmouth Town and Brantham Athletic.
The defeat was a sixth in seven games for Thetford.
You may also want to watch:
The early stages of the game saw two of the six ex-Tangerines in the Thetford line-up, Greg Devlin and Simon Mann, have shots well gathered by Matty Hill. Ben Soanes hit a well-struck shot against the bar in reply.
Appeals for a penalty when Danny Partridge went down were turned away midway through the half but by the interval two fouls on him did result in penalty kicks.
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 5 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 6 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 7 Prince Charles says royal family are 'deeply grateful' for public support following Prince Philip death
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 Still time to have your say on town's future as bypass plans go in
- 10 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
Diss have now been awarded six penalties in their last six matches. Ross Bilham blocked a shot in the 28th minute and the ball ran away to Partridge. He was moving away from the goal near the goal line when Bilham tripped him.
Hayes sent the ball low into Bilham's right-hand corner. Two minutes later James Wilson sent his header to a Hayes free-kick against a post.
In the 34th minute Partridge cut in from the left wing. He went past two defenders before his run was halted by a trip from Greg Devlin. Hayes sent the ball into the opposite corner of the net as Bilham went to his right.
Thetford pulled a goal back 10 seconds into the second half when Sam Bryant moved forward down the left and had his shot blocked by Hill. The ball fell kindly for Kwame Jones to tap in from close range against his former team.
Three minutes later Luke Catchpole came close to scoring against his former team but Bilham made a great save to a well-struck 20-yard free-kick. Bilham made another good save in the 76th minute to keep out a Steve Wright shot to a Soanes centre.
Diss were having more of the attempts at goal but Thetford were having their fair share of possession and Diss were hanging on nervously at times, especially to a number of dangerous crosses.
The home fans were able to breathe more easily when Partridge made it 3-1 in the 81st minute.
Catchpole cut the ball out and found Soanes. He played a fine ball which saw Sam Giacomelli and Simon Jackson collide as they tried to cut it out.
Partridge moved through and slid the ball past Bilham from 15 yards out. Late in the game Partridge shot high when well placed ten yards out.