Crunch time for Tangerines
Diss are among five Ridgeons Division One teams which remain in contention for the final promotion place. Two of them meet - Diss travel to third-placed Hadleigh United and the Tangerines must win and hope that Whitton and Saffron Walden lose.
Diss are among five Ridgeons Division One teams which remain in contention for the final promotion place.
Two of them meet - Diss travel to third-placed Hadleigh United and the Tangerines must win and hope that Whitton and Saffron Walden lose.
The promotion situation for each team is: Hadleigh will be promoted if they beat Diss but a draw would mean that they will go up if Whitton fail to win.
Whitton have the best goal difference and would be promoted if they beat Godmanchester at home and Hadleigh fail to win. Saffron Walden have to win at Yarmouth and hope that Hadleigh lose and Whitton fail to win.
You may also want to watch:
Halstead need to beat Stowmarket and hope that Whitton and Saffron Walden both fail to win.
The game between hosts Saffron Walden and Diss proved a close affair with a 1-1 draw making promotion difficult for both teams.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 3 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 4 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 5 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 6 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 7 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 8 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 9 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 10 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
It was the first time that Diss had failed to win away from home in 2008 - they had won their previous six away games.
The new management team of Rob Taylor and Steve Culyer were in charge for the first time.
Diss took the lead in the seventh minute. Luke Catchpole was fouled on the right. Ed Cussons swung the free-kick towards the far post. Steve Best eluded his marker and guided the ball into the far corner of the net with his right foot.
In the 18th minute a long clearance from Michael Hilton found Danny Partridge. He beat a defender and floated the ball over the advancing Kieron Badcock and on to the roof of the net.
Gavin Norman had a shot on the run, to another long ball, deflected for a corner.
Saffron Walden created a good chance when a ricochet saw the ball fall well for Kevin Vallis, but he was superbly tackled by Josh Hull.
Early in the second half the home side equalised after a corner in the 55th minute.
Two minutes later the ball fell to Norman on the edge of the penalty area but Badcock made a fine block. Vallis was just wide from a free-kick 25 yards from goal as play switched to the other end.
In the 74th minute Riches moved clear in the penalty area and Hilton made a superb save, diving to his left. Partridge was just off-target after a good throw from Stuart Jenkinson.