Cup battle for anglers
THE weekend started for Diss Angling Club with a lure match on the river Waveney at Brockdish for the Turner Cup on November 14. With heavy rain falling four anglers set out for the bank hoping for fish or two.
THE weekend started for Diss Angling Club with a lure match on the river Waveney at Brockdish for the Turner Cup on November 14.
With heavy rain falling four anglers set out for the bank hoping for fish or two. Bill Davies was the only angler to bank any fish, with a brace of two small fish for 6lb 8oz so won the cup.
Colin Lea missed out on a chance for the win when he lost a fish of 6lb plus at the net.
The Sunday saw Diss compete in a team match on the Mere in Diss against Gipping Valley Angling Club. Twenty anglers in all settled around the banks of the Mere for the fight ahead.
Karl Hales, fishing for Diss, stormed to first place with the Mere's biggest weight in a match for this season.
The last 20 minutes of the match saw Karl land three fish on the pole which went 29lb 10oz. Prior to this, Hales had already caught five other carp on the tip, Hales' final weight was 57lb 4oz.
- 1 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer
- 2 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 6 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 9 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 10 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
Second place also went to a Diss angler, Jimmy Ellis
caught on the tip early on in the match then switched to the pole for a few roach to end the match with 19lb.
Third on the day went to Gipping Valley AC's Bob Gunn with 15lb 11.5oz. This match was the Diss leg of a two-match competition and Diss Angling Club won overall with 202lb to Gipping Valley AC's 132lb.