Diss area notes

DISS U18 were well beaten by Felixstowe & Walton U18 in their first home game of the season, 5-0. The opening goal came when Adam Dawson shot in from outside the penalty area.

DISS U18 were well beaten by Felixstowe & Walton U18 in their first home game of the season, 5-0. The opening goal came when Adam Dawson shot in from outside the penalty area. Two minutes later Sam Boggis headed in from close range at a corner for 2-0. Jake McDowall was just high with the best Diss move of the first half with Alex Taylor shooting against a Diss post in reply. Within 10 seconds of the restart Taylor hit a post again. However, he had to wait just six more minutes to score after Diss failed to clear a corner. Matt Mackenzie made it 4-0 with a header to a perfect cross from the left wing. The best Diss move of the match came with a centre from McDowall headed on by Clark Field for Ryan Parker to shoot inches high. Jack Bell shot wide following a superb run and cross from Olly Verrell. Felixstowe completed the scoring in the second minute of added time when Ollie Hallinan shot a loose ball home following a diving save from Joe Marriott.

DISS TOWN YOUTH U9 saw an away day at Blofield for two games. Game one against the hosts saw Diss three times ahead only to be pegged back each time. Owen Thompson-Browne opened the scoring after good midfield play by the impressive Cameron Russell and although defenders Kieran Allen and Alex Chittock worked tirelessly, Blofield kept coming back. Josh Lucraft, as usual, was in fine form in front of goal, scoring a brace and a fine save with his legs at the death from keeper Connor Blake saw honours shared in a 3-3 result. Game two against a tricky Rocklands saw Dane Potter make his league debut and he didn't disappoint with several tough tackles in midfield. A blistering run from Josh Lucraft followed by a pin- point cross allowed Ryan Hook to superbly blast home the opener and although Charlie Bowen popped up everywhere in a good defensive performance Rockland's nicked a point right at the end. Final score 1-1.

SCOLE U11 produced another excellent team effort and straight from the start took control of the game and started to pressure Poringland. When after 17 minutes of play Tristyn Tunmer found the back of the net. After this Scole lost focus for a while but maintained this score until half-time. Scole then responded well to the half-time team talk to come out for the second half with a positive attitude, forcing several good attempts on goal. This paid off with a great long shot goal from Deon Wallace. Two more goals were then followed up by Ben Williamson and Jamie Young. This game was definitely an all-round effort from every member of the team. MoM: Ben Shepherd for his hard work in midfield.

Most Read

BECKVALE BOYS U11 travelled to Long Stratton for their second league game knowing it would be a hard-fought encounter after losing a pre-season friendly 6-2. Beckvale changed their formation slightly, playing George Miller in a more central position in midfield, allowing Bentall and Evans to push forward supporting Heasley and Harvey up front. Beckvale were soon a goal ahead after good attacking play from Luke Homer allowed Bentall to score from inside the box. A quick throw from Homer deep in his own half found Miller who flicked the ball coolly into the path of Evans, beat three Stratton players down the right wing before crossing for Harvey to smash the ball home, making it six goals in two starts. Beckvale were well organised at the back with Wales and MoM Oakley making sure that Stratton did not have any sight of the visitors' goal, along with Miller and Bentall who were winning everything in midfield. James Wellar was marking Harley, on the left side, out of the game with Oakley always on hand to cover mop up any threat. Beckvale continued to attack and were soon three goals up when Harvey found Evans in space who slotted the ball home with his left foot. Beckvale conceded a own goal five minutes into the second half for 3-1. Good passing play from Bartram and Heasley resulted in a corner for the visitors which was taken by Harvey, the cross was met with a delicious back-heel by Heasley, making sure Beckvale went home with all three points. Miller was rewarded for his excellent display with a goal, after leaping to head home from another Harvey corner. Evans completed the scoring with a solo effort, running all of 50 yards before blasting home. An excellent team performance by all with a special mention to Oakley who read the game superbly from the back.

DISS U8 had an evenly-contested game with Scole with George and Harry making important defensive clearances in the first half and Kyle making good saves in goal. Aidan and Oliver both played well going forward and had early chances. Scole took their opportunities, scoring two goals late in the first half and further goals in the second half. Aidan hit a post in the second half for Diss with an excellent effort and Nathan played really well, scoring a consolation goal with a good strike which Diss more than deserved. The second match was a much tougher test for Diss when they lost 7-1 to Old Catton, but can be pleased with how well they competed. Sam, Oliver and Nathan impressed in midfield and there was some brave tackling by Bradley and George in defence. Old Catton scored all their goals with good strikes and an excellent strike from a free kick by Aidan gave Diss a well-deserved consolation.

EYE SAINTS U13 went top of the league with an excellent away win at Witnesham Wasps. This was a very good result against a team that were in Division One last season. Eye started confidently and in control of the game and soon gained a few corners putting the Witnesham defenders under pressure. It took Eye 20 minutes to score the first goal when a Cameron McKie free-kick was missed by the Wasps defence to enable Tanner Call to take a touch and place the ball confidently past the keeper. A few minutes later Tanner scored his second when a great through ball from Joe Hooton, gave Tanner the opportunity to smash the ball past the keeper. Just before half-time, Ben Roberts in the Eye goal, made an excellent save to keep the score 2-0 at half-time. The second half started with Eye pushing for the killer third goal but the Wasps goalkeeper was equal to everything that Eye threw at him. Midway through the second half Witnesham pulled one back following hesitancy in the Eye defence. Eye responded positively with two goals in a three minute spell by Levi Harris and Ryan Newton, to seal the game for Eye. In the dying minutes Tanner Call completed his hat-trick following a lovely pass from Ash Harris, to complete the scoreline 5-1 to Eye. It was an excellent team display but the MoM award goes to Cameron McKie, who gave an excellent performance in central midfield.

HARLESTON U9 played their first league game of the season which involved a trip to Freethorpe. They got off to a flying start when Charlie Wells launched a long throw into the box for Finley Boreham to slot home Harleston's opener. They continued to put Freethorpe under pressure from all areas with more goals from Henry Warner and Jack Ling. Freethorpe came back at Harleston with two goals, making the half-time score line 5-2 to Harleston. Harleston continued in the second half to pressurise the Freethorpe goal leading to Henry Warner scoring his hat-trick. Great debuts by Harvey Robson and Kieran Harvey saw Kieran score his first goal for Harleston. The team's second- half performance of not conceding a goal was down to two great saves by Ben Marjoram and some great defending by MoM Sam Fawcett. Fantastic start to the season. Final score: Freethorpe 2, Harleston 7.

HARLESTON U12, after the previous week's fine win, travelled to Walmer Road in good spirits but came home point-less after a very poor performance. On a bone-hard pitch Harleston struggled to get their passing game going and were pegged back by a lively home side who deservedly took the lead after poor marking from a corner resulted in a free header being dispatched into the net. The home side's long-ball game caused the Harleston defence many problems and from one of these the home centre forward ran through to calmly slot past keeper Andrew Hadingham. They soon added a third before the break to make the half-time score 3-0. Harleston upped their game slightly after the break and pulled themselves back into the game when debutant Ollie Warrent coolly slotted home after good work from Ryan Shadbolt. Thoughts of a comeback were quickly extinguished when the home side added a fourth. James Taylor, playing his first game for a year, looked steady, Craig Ellis batted well all game but keeper Andrew Hadingham claimed the MoM award for a string of good saves throughout the game.

HARLESTON U10, playing in their first home game of the season, were dealt a blow before a ball was kicked when a late call-off left them with only six players. However, they proceeded to play an excellent game and were unlucky to lose by the odd goal in three. Taking the game to their visitors they drove forward and forced the keeper into a series of good saves. Midway through the half a shot from Johnny Middleton rattled the bar before, against the run of play, Long Stratton took the lead after a fine tackle from Luke Williams unfortunately fell to a forward to put the visitors 1-0 up at the interval. Despite having a man down Harleston continued to press forward with Dan Elgood running the game. Long Stratton then doubled their lead after a rare foray into the Harleston half. Harleston then hit the woodwork from Tommy Williams before the same player put his side back into the game from close range. Harleston continued to play excellent passing football but were unlucky not to get anything out of the game in which, despite having a man less all game, dominated from start to finish. Credit to all the team with Dan Elgood winning the MoM honour for a fine display of football throughout. Kirkley and Pakefield away next week.

HARLESTON U13 made the long trip to Caister where they got off to a flying start and were 3-0 up in the first eight minutes of the game with two goals from A Burlton and one from team captain J Lewis. W Coleman grabbed a goal in this half and this was soon followed up with another one from Burlton for his hat-trick and one more from Lewis for his brace. After the break Harleston continued to win the midfield battle, on the rare occasion that Caister broke through the defence managed to deal with it, leaving J Brown in goal pretty much redundant for the day. Harleston managed to tuck away another six goals in the second half, two from G Couchy and another hat-trick from Burlton, bringing his tally to six. MoM: A Burlton, although it has to be said the team played well as a whole. Final score: Caister 0, Harleston 12.

HARLESTON U14 were very slow to start this match and soon found themselves under pressure. At half-time they were 3-0 down to St Benets Wasps A through poor marking and a penalty. In the second half Harleston's team was shuffled around, they began to play and were unlucky not to score with chances being missed by John Farmer, Mo Hadley, Harvey Hodd and Kieran Allum. This could have brought them back into the game but it was not to be as the Wasps had chances of their own to kill the game off but for a MoM display by goalkeeper Jacob Richards.

HEMPNALL U12 began strongly from the off and scored after 45 seconds. Ben Allen had charged down a defensive clearance and was then able to continue forward into the penalty area to cross to Dan Babington who bundled the ball over the line. Hempnall went two up after only two minutes, this time Dan providing the pass for Callum Maloney to smash the ball home. Gorleston appeared to be shell-shocked by this whirlwind start and soon fell further behind to a worthy goal of the season. Harry Gibson picked up the ball in midfield and then hit a 35-yard shot into the top-right corner, giving the Gorleston keeper no chance. Gorleston pulled a goal back after 25 minutes only for Harry to hit another shot from almost the halfway line that bounced over the keeper and onto the bar. Dan Babington was on hand to score his second of the game. In the second half against the wind and slope Hempnall's defence coped well limiting Gorleston to only one chance that produced a splendid save from Joel Brooks. Robert Watson, playing his first game for Hempnall, was very solid at right-back. Callum and Dan looked very dangerous up front, both having chances to increase Hempnall's lead. Callum twice shot narrowly wide and Dan had a fine chance to notch his hat-trick only to shoot wide with only the keeper to beat. This was a fine team performance. Final score: Hempnall 4, Gorleston 1.

LONG STRATTON U10 were away at top-of-the-table Harleston. With news filtering through early on that Harleston were starting with six players, the Mini Reds' start to the match was rather slow. With such a good display at home on the first game of the season the managers decided to start with the same seven. After settling down Stratton soon got a foothold on the game with a fine goal from Z Sawyer, giving them a 1-0 half-time lead. With subs made, H Grimsley came on at left-back for a great debut and H Nye slotted into centre midfield. Harleston worked their way into the game with a goal but only after testing

K Locke in goal on several occasions. Stratton soon made the man advantage count with a goal from J Bemrose, his sixth of the season. MoM: K Locke.

SCOLE GIRLS, in their first game of the season, went behind early to Norwich Canaries Green but rallied round and played well for the remainder of the half. Unfortunately they conceded another goal early in the second half but continued to battle strongly and were unlucky not to be rewarded for their efforts. A third goal near the end from a corner sealed Norwich's win and continued Scole's tradition of a losing start to the season. Girl of the game Megan Robinson.

SCOLE GIRLS drew 1-1 with North Walsham. Scole started well, dominating the first half and were unlucky not to be leading at half-time after several attempts on goal including Hannah Beeslee hitting the bar. The second half started in the same way but disaster struck midway through when a North Walsham winger crossed only for the ball to be turned into her own net by a Scole defender. Scole continued to press forward and with seconds remaining on they clock they won a corner. Rachael Wall crossed and Walsham's keeper, under pressure, palmed the ball into her own goal to give Scole a thoroughly deserved equaliser.

SCOLE GIRLS U12 beat Red Rose 14-2. Scole travelled to Cawston for their first away match of the season and it was well worth the journey. With no subs available, Scole had to work hard throughout the whole game. This season's new keeper, Shannon Lummis, pulled off many great saves and Georgia Edwards and Amber Elliot battled hard in defence. Some great passing came from the midfield of Rebecca Archibald, Ellie Drake and Amy Davis, which meant they were able to put some good balls through for PoM Georgia King, who scored four. Archibald and Drake also got four each and Amy completed the scoring with two. Overall, the girls put in a great performance.

SCOLE U12 made very hard work of the match against Jex and were lucky to come away with such a flattering scoreline, 4-1. In the first half Scole were unable to put together their usual passing game and shots on the Jex goal were few and far between. Eventually a cross from Joseph Broom on the left was met by Owen Blakely to put Scole 1-0 ahead at half-time. After the break the game there were only sporadic glimpses of Scole's power and Jex soon equalised. Scole began to pressure the opposition and a number of good saves from the Jex keeper kept them in the game. Nathan Doe then made it 2-1 and following a precision pass from Callum Boulter, Doe was able to score his second. In the last 10 minutes Scole did begin to dominate the opposition half and Doe was denied his hat-trick when his powerful shot hit the post. Billy Ellwood added a fourth.

SCOLE LADS U12 played against Rocklands and both teams found the first 10 minutes of the match very intense, working hard to gain the advantage. Scole Lads' full-strength squad, passed the ball around well, opening up opportunities for scoring and after several shots, Gregor Shipperlee's speed created the first goal of the match. This boosted Scole Lads' confidence and the balance of the game began to tilt in Scole's favour. Sean Dundas put Scole 2-0 in lead when he picked up a ball from a corner. Jack Payne scored from a free-kick taken by Jake Wootton. Scole were riding high and making some beautiful runs and passes, which gave Matt Monkhouse his first goal to make it 4-0 but Rocklands managed to pop one in just before half-time. Matt Monkhouse scored again after a great pass from Jack Payne. Jake Wootton managed to score from outside the goal area after a free- kick that he took came back out to him. Jack Payne scored again after Thomas Heath crossed the ball into him. Alan Everett scored the final two goals giving Scole Lads a 9-1 win. Scole played a very confident and skilful game throughout. MoM: Alan Everett.

SCOLE U13 played Lakeford knowing that this was going to be a very hard game. Scole started very strongly and Charlie Deakin put the ball just past the post after 15 seconds. Scole continued to dominate the early stages and were 2-0 up after five minutes with well-taken goals from Charlie Deakin and Oscar Marshall. Scole played some great football for the first 20 minutes but Lakeford made some changes and slowly came back into the match with their strong and quick centre-forward scoring two goals to make it 2-2 at half-time. Scole made changes of their own and Nathan Locke went to centre-half and put in a terrific MoM display, unfortunately the Lakeford centre-forward did complete his hat-trick just after half-time to put them in the lead for the first time. With 15 minutes left Dan Wyles and Mathew Harper came on and this gave the team a lift and they were soon level when Max Turner scored, Scole were on top and back to playing their good passing football and Mathew Harper scored his first goal for the club to make it 4-3. With a minute left a corner from Oscar Marshall was headed towards goal from Nathan Locke and a defender could only help it over the line. This was a very good game of football and the boys battled well and showed great character to come back to win.