Diss at the double as unbeaten run continues

Diss Town 1, CRC 0

Diss completed a league double over CRC to claim their fifth straight win to move to up to 13th place in the Ridgeons League Premier Division.

The Tangerines' unbeaten run is now six games, with just one goal conceded during that time.

Manager Rob Taylor named an unchanged side and the benefits of a stable team are being seen now as his team move towards the end of the season in championship form.

The winning run has co-incided with the return of Stuart Jopling to the club.

'I came close to signing him earlier in the season,' said Taylor. 'He has added the experience that we needed up front and had we had him in our squad earlier in the season we would have been much higher in the table.

'We were never in any trouble against CRC and Matty Webster had a quiet game in goal.'

Most Read

This was not a great spectacle for the home crowd, but Diss were never in any danger against their young opponents, who were able to name just one substitute.

In the third minute James Pipe moved on to a through ball and from a difficult angle fired his shot off target. The closest to a first-half goal came in the 27th minute when Jason Cole seemed to misjudge his centre and the ball looped goalwards. Visiting goalkeeper Martin Davies was forced to arch backwards and did well to tip the ball on to a post.

Diss maintained the pressure and Joel Brien had his 22-yard shot easily gathered by Davies. Brien sent Pipe on a run into the penalty area five minutes before half-time and two defenders did well to thwart the danger.

The only goal of the game came in the 55th minute. Jason Cole was held back wide on the right wing and a free-kick was awarded. Stuart Garner curled in a perfect free-kick and Jamie Speller raced forward to head his third goal of the season from six yards out. He beat Jopling and Brien to the ball as a wall of three Tangerine shirts reacted quicker than the static CRC defence.

Diss were never in danger of being pegged back, but did not look likely to add to their lead in the remaining time.

Diss: Matty Webster, Jason Cole, Stuart Garner, Aarron Taylor, Brendan Foley, Mark Shadrack, Joel Brien, Jamie Speller, Stuart Jopling, James Pipe, Michael Steward. Subs: Danny Easlea, George Watts-Sturrock, Gareth Leggett, Sam Bryant (injured in half-time warm-up), Jonny King. Attendance: 96.

Bungay T U18 2, Diss Tn U18 1

Diss Under-18s put in a fine performance, but were unable to convert enough of the many chances that they created and fell to a controversial defeat as Bungay completed their fixtures.

Diss played very well in the first half, with Zino Mario-Ghia forcing James Shaw to make two good saves. One was a one-on-one opportunity and the other a good shot.

Diss were awarded a penalty, but captain Alex Cook admitted that his shot was 'hit too weakly at a comfortable height for the goalkeeper' as Shaw pushed the shot away. Bungay took the lead in the last minute of the first half.

Alex Attfield made a good save to keep out a free-kick, but the home forwards reacted quickly and one of them shot goalwards. Another player seemingly offside, tapped the ball into the unguarded goal.

George Cole, on what is likely to be his last game at this level, brought the ball under control and pulled a goal back with a fine half volley 15 minutes before the end.

Diss: Attfield, Harris, Crowe, Martin, Riches, Cook, Searle, Povey, Mario-Ghae, Cole, Nichols. Sub:Debenham (for Crowe). Att: 32.