Diss clinch promotion

PUBLISHED: 11:27 01 May 2008 | UPDATED: 10:29 12 July 2010

Diss recorded an impressive 50-15 victory in their rugby play-off match against the London Division Three North West runners-up Imperial Medicals to clinch promotion.

Diss recorded an impressive 50-15 victory in their rugby play-off match against the London Division Three North West runners-up Imperial Medicals to clinch promotion.

Many would have expected this type of game to be a tense nervy affair. However, this was not to be as Diss attacked from the beginning, scoring their first try in the third minute. From a line-out the home side obtained clean ball and their forwards drove towards the try line.

The Medics defence crumbled and prop Matt Richards powered over to score near the corner. Skipper Adam Williamson made a difficult kick appear easy to make it 7-0.

From a five metre scrum the Diss pack were again able to demonstrate their superiority as they surged over for No 8 Andy Horne to score an unconverted try.

The next score was a superb solo effort from full-back Chris Beaird, who scorched up the pitch to score an unconverted try in the right corner. Unfortunately, in the next attack, the same player received a leg injury which forced him off.

Just before half-time Diss were awarded a penalty on the halfway line after Medics were caught offside. The ball was kicked out for a line-out and once again Diss were able to exploit weaknesses in their opponents' defence. The pack drove over for hooker Richard Horne to score near the corner and Williamson slotted the ball between the posts to give Diss a 24-0 half-time lead.

At the start of the second half Medics managed to gain some possession and from their catch and drive move scored an unconverted try in the corner. Diss made an immediate response, and following a powerful run by Steve Hipwell, the ball was recycled by the pack.

As they crossed the try line prop Tim Groom grounded the ball and Williamson again converted.

Just five minutes later Diss went further ahead when, following another catch and drive move, Horne was able to score his second try of the afternoon from the base of the scrum.

By now Diss had domination in all departments, and the next try showed the backs at their best. Fly-half Zak Seaward gave a beautifully weighted pass to centre Steve Hipwell who burst through three players before off-loading to Williamson who scored a converted try.

In the final quarter replacements, in the form of Will Foote, Josh Williams and Aaron Bliss, came on. The Diss attacks kept coming, and it was no surprise, when following another pack surge, Groom scored his second try of the afternoon, which was converted to give the home side a total of 50 points.

Medics were able to salvage some pride by scoring two late tries to make the final score more respectable

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Diss Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Diss Mercury