Diss hit six in promotion chase
Diss Town 6, Cornard United 0
Diss continued their Ridgeons League Divison One promotion push with a sixth successive win and clean sheet.
After five 3-0 wins in a row they scored six with out reply for the second time this season against strugglers Cornard. Second-placed Diss are now one point and 11 goals better off, from two games fewer than third-placed Cambridge University Press. The two meet at The Cass Stadium on Saturday where a win for Diss would see them strong favourites to go up and ensure promotion for leaders Gorleston.
Diss drew first blood when Jonny King broke through and buried his shot past a helpless Matt Walker after 18 minutes. Two minutes later Andy Moody drove home from eight yards out, unfortunately injuring him in the process.
Danny Partridge was taken down by keeper Walker for a penalty right on the stroke of half time. Up stepped Stuart Garner to send the keeper the wrong way as he made short work from the penalty spot for a 3-0 lead in the 45th minute.
With 51 minutes gone Partridge headed home from a King cross for a healthy 4-0 lead.
It was only some fine goal keeping that kept the score below double figures.
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 6 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 8 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
Manager Rob Taylor introduced George Watts-Sturrock, with Brendan Foley after 68 minutes, in what was Watts-Sturrock's final game in the colours of Diss Town as he crosses the pond for pastures new in a coaching capacity in the USA.
With 20 minutes remaining Partridge sprinted clear before slotting home past Walker to make it 5-0. Centre half Stefan Gilding was pushed forward and after Catchpole's shot was blocked smashed home the sixth goal five minutes from time.
Diss: Matty Webster, Tom Deller, Stuart Garner, Mark Shadrack, Stefan Gilding, Jon Abbott, Jonny King, Luke Catchpole, Danny Partridge, Andy Moody, Sam Bryant. Diss subs: Jason Cole (for Moody 20 mins), Tom Bryant, Brendan Foley (for S Bryant 68 mins) and George Watts-Sturrock (for Abbott 68 mins). Attendance: 126.
Man of the Match: Jonny King. Match Sponsor: The 3 B's.