Diss open league season in style
Diss opened their account in style in the Alliance Premier League with a swashbuckling eight-wicket win over Cromer to earn 20 points. Winning the toss and batting, the visitors lost an early wicket when Davies was well caught by the ever-improving wicketkeeper Weal, off the bowling of Gooderham.
Diss opened their account in style in the Alliance Premier League with a swashbuckling eight-wicket win over Cromer to earn 20 points.
Winning the toss and batting, the visitors lost an early wicket when Davies was well caught by the ever-improving wicketkeeper Weal, off the bowling of Gooderham.
A second-wicket stand of 59 consolidated the position and was only broken by a spectacular overhead catch by David Tooke to get rid of top scorer Clarke for 35. At 78-2 Cromer looked in command.
Then came the over which changed the course of the match. Robert Tooke, who had bowled steadily without reply looking particularly dangerous for eight overs, suddenly took a three- wicket maiden with his ninth.
You may also want to watch:
With Chris Cooper taking a wicket with the first ball of his next over, four wickets had fallen in five balls with the score on 78.
Cromer capitulated, Tooke captured another wicket, Chris Cooper two more.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Ofsted praise for ‘inadequate’ Norfolk special school
- 6 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 7 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 8 Lockdown easing LIVE: Norfolk and Waveney enjoys renewed freedom
- 9 Life-saving defibrillator installed along historic Norfolk footpath
- 10 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
Simon Cooper chipped in with a wicket and the innings finished with a brilliant run out by Germon and the visitors were routed for 119. The ground fielding and catching was excellent and once again Weal impressed behind the stumps, not conceding a bye.
Replying, Diss chased the target with relish, Rush and Wilby put on 50 in 11 overs before Russ ran himself out going for an unlikely third run.
Wilby made 34 with some cultured offside shots before playing across the line and being trapped lbw by Regis.
Will Dawson and Chris Cooper with eight fours and three sixes between them saw Diss home in the 23rd over.
Diss planned to reach 119 and go for the extra batting point on 125 with a six.
The first part of the plan worked but when on 119 - Cooper, intending to finish the game with the maximum, was only a few feet short with a great effort.
Scores: 119 (Clarke 35, R Tooke 4-35, C Cooper 3-33). Diss - 123, 2 wkts (J Wilby 34, W Dawson 33 not out). MoM: Robert Tooke, his three wickets in an over won the match.
Diss visit North Runcton, two places below them in the table, in the Alliance on Saturday.