Diss rue missed chances

PUBLISHED: 09:56 11 December 2008 | UPDATED: 10:49 12 July 2010

Diss with possession against Staines.

Diss with possession against Staines.

Having previously boasted a 100pc record, Diss lost their second league game on the trot to fellow high-flyers Staines 15-9.

But this was a match they could and should have won.

Having previously boasted a 100pc record, Diss lost their second league game on the trot to fellow high-flyers Staines 15-9.

But this was a match they could and should have won.

The Diss cause was not helped when stalwart prop Tim Groom failed a late fitness test and had to miss the game.

It was the visitors who exerted most of the early pressure but Diss dealt with it well until conceding a penalty which centre Christopher Wells converted.

The visitors continued on the attack and when Diss were caught holding on Wells again made no mistake with the penalty kick to double the Staines advantage.

From the resulting kick-off Diss forwards turned over possession and this time it was the turn of the visitors to concede a penalty when they were caught offside.

Diss skipper Adam Williamson coolly converted to reduce the Staines lead.

As the match progressed Diss began to exert some pressure of their own, and began to dominate the loose exchanges.

Unfortunately the set-piece still remained a problem, and Staines continued to enjoy the greater possession. The home side continued to give away penalties, and after missing one kickable chance Wells once again punished Diss for their indiscretions.

With the half drawing to a close further Diss pressure reaped the reward of another penalty. After a promising attack was illegally brought to a halt by a Staines player off his feet, Williamson stepped up to convert the resulting penalty to make it 6-9 at the break.

The second half began with the pattern of play as before, and after Diss gave away a penalty on their 22, the kick was moved 10 metres further up-field after back-chat to the referee. The Staines centre was then easily able to convert his kick, and restore the margin of lead.

Diss attacked from the resulting kick-off and when a Staines flanker was caught breaking early from the scrum the referee awarded Diss a further penalty which their captain converted.

Just one minute later the visitors gained yet another penalty, but this time their centre pushed the ball to the left of the posts.

A penalty was then conceded by Staines on their 22 but, to the surprise of many home supporters, Diss opted for the five-metre line-out rather than kicking for goal.

A Staines forward was yellow carded for persistently slowing the ball down, and within seconds the visitors gave away a further penalty close to their line. Diss chose to tap and go. Deaglan Hall crossed the line and looked to have scored a decisive try, but the ref had seen an infringement.

Staines were then penalised after a player was caught offside near the touch-line, but Diss narrowly missed the penalty.

At the other end the home side were caught offside deep in their own half and Wells easily converted to restore their six-point lead.

Diss threw everything into attack for the remaining minutes against a well-drilled Staines outfit, and can count themselves unfortunate not to have scored.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Diss Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Diss Mercury