Diss steal a march on rivals
Diss Town host Halstead this weekend, hoping to build on a good 4-1 win at March.Diss won for the fourth league match in a row and improved their goal difference to the best in the division at plus 39.
Diss Town host Halstead this weekend, hoping to build on a good 4-1 win at March.
Diss won for the fourth league match in a row and improved their goal difference to the best in the division at plus 39. They are also leading goal scorers with 73.
They have also scored 23 goals in the last four away matches, all of which have produced wins.
Michael Hilton returned in goal after holiday for Paul Snowdon, Alex Jarvie replaced Gavin Norman and Stuart Jenkinson came in for the suspended Luke Catchpole as the three changes to the team which had beaten Ely.
You may also want to watch:
Ben Deacon and Matty Ryland were just off target for Diss in the early stages as both teams struggled to come to terms with the difficult playing conditions.
The strong wind contributed to both teams scoring inside three minutes midway through the first half.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 3 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Ex-battery hens in need of free-range retirement homes
- 6 Are we on the verge of a post-Covid mental health crisis?
- 7 Mental health boss cleared of lying during inquest
- 8 Want to work on a supercar? Lotus is hiring 200 staff
- 9 Norfolk's police deal with sharp rise in mental health-related callouts
- 10 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
Andy Wayte sent the ball across from the right in the 23rd minute and the ball flew past Hilton to put the Hares into the lead.
Ed Cussons sent the ball across from the Diss left and goalkeeper Dave Beeney seemed to be distracted as Ben Deacon tried to reach it and the ball ended up in the far corner of the net for the equaliser and local player Cussons had scored his second goal in a Tangerine shirt.
Hilton made a great save to keep out a Ben Hepworth header early in the second half. Diss then saw a shot from Norman strike a post following a fine through ball by Jenkinson.
Six minutes into the half Diss had a chance to take the lead when a cross from Cussons was handled by Marc Welcher but Beeney dived and pushed the penalty kick from Dale Vince round a post.
Josh Hull took a quick free-kick in the 62nd minute and found Norman in space to cross for Vince to shoot in and make it 2-1.
Four minutes later Diss were awarded their second penalty of the afternoon when Welcher brought down Andrew Fulcher.
The Diss midfielder got up and made it 3-1 with a fierce shot past Beeney. Cussons sent a free-kick to the far post for Vince to complete the scoring following an 87th minute foul on Robbie Lawrence.
There was still time for March to be reduced to 10 men when Lloyd Johnson was sent off for a foul on Steve Best.