Diss struggle in opening week of new season

Diss Town heading for a heavy defeat at Ipswich Wanderers.

Diss Town heading for a heavy defeat at Ipswich Wanderers. - Credit: Archant

Ipswich Wanderers 4 Diss Town 0

Diss Town manager Mike Derbyshire had stated that it might take time for his new-look squad to gel – and the opening week of the new Thurlow Nunn Premier Division season may just have reinforced that opinion.

Having been thumped in Suffolk on the opening day, the Tangerines then slumped to a 3-1 home defeat to Derbyshire's old club, Gorleston, in midweek.

Diss competed well in the first half at Ipswich but a second half penalty and a sending off saw them succumb to a 4-0 defeat.

The Tangerines showed promise in the early stages, with O'Herlihy looking particularly creative on the left wing. Dixon and Rocastle combined well through the middle after 18th minutes but Dixon's flick was just too far ahead of Rocastle's run as he entered the penalty area.

But the hosts were looking the more likely to score and in the 43rd minute they took the lead. It appeared that Tangerines' skipper Ady Ager got a touch on the corner kick, sending it wide of Cable and Mitchell standing on the goal line. They could only watch helplessly as the ball flew into the far corner to give Wanderers the lead from an own-goal.

The Tangerines started the second half brightly, but the home side defended well to protect their lead. In the 50th minute,

Most Read

Diss looked like they had a good call for a penalty when Holmes went flying in the area after Spurling, De'Ath and Wardley all slid into him. However, there were no complaints from the Diss players and the referee was unmoved. Dixon had to go off with a head injury a minute later, after a challenge with Gregory, with the resultant free-kick being awarded to the Wanderers.

In the 55th minute Wanderers took a 2-0 lead when Cable brought down Severy as he tried to round the keeper. Severy stepped forward and sent the keeper the wrong way.

This seemed like a turning point and it was only four minutes later that Severy increased the home side's lead after being found in acres of space in the penalty area from a fine cross from the left. Severy completed his hat-trick six minutes later and made it 4-0 when he deceived Cable with a hard, low free-kick that went in off the keeper's near post.

Hipperson received a yellow card in the 66th minute for a trip on the edge of the penalty area and was sent four minutes later after receiving a second yellow card following a clash with Jennings.

Diss: Cable, Griew, Mitchell (Lake 78), Shadrack, Ager, Hipperson, Rocastle, Brown (Brown 72), Dixon (Wines 53), Holmes, O'Herlihy. Subs not used: Nelson, Bird.

On Saturday the Tangerines will be hoping to make progress in the FA Cup when they entertain Holbeach United in an extra preliminary round tie.

Diss Town 1 Gorleston 3

Gorleston took the lead through Middleton in the 26th minute when Chris Collins-Reed conceded a penalty when he tripped a Gorleston forward. Middleton added another in the 36th minute when the Tangerines keeper Cable was still getting back into position after making a challenge near the touchline.

Ex-Tangerine Ali McKenna gave Gorleston a 3-0 lead in the 58th minute with the deftest of touches to send a glancing header from a corner kick past Cable. in the 70th minute, Matt Dixon pulled a goal back for Diss from the penalty spot after he was tripped in the penalty area.